1973 European Cup Winners' Cup Final
The 1973 European Cup Winners' Cup Final was the final football match of the 1972–73 European Cup Winners' Cup and the 13th European Cup Winners' Cup final. It was contested between Milan of Italy and Leeds United of England, and was held at Kaftanzoglio Stadium in Thessaloniki, Greece. Milan won the match 1–0 thanks to a goal by Luciano Chiarugi.
|Event||1972–73 European Cup Winners' Cup|
|Date||16 May 1973|
|Venue||Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Thessaloniki|
|Referee||Christos Michas (Greece)|
The Greek crowd at the final reacted to perceived bias towards Milan by referee Christos Michas by throwing missiles during the victors' lap of honour, but despite protests, the result was not overturned. UEFA later banned Michas for life due to match fixing, although his role in this match was not investigated.
Leeds, who perceived referee Christos Michas to have made a number of unfair decisions, attempted to gain a replay but UEFA denied the request. In recent times Richard Corbett, an MEP for Yorkshire and the Humber, petitioned UEFA for a revocation of the Milan title.
Route to the final
|Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Red Boys Differdange||7–1||4–1 (A)||3–0 (H)||First round||Ankaragücü||2–1||1–1 (A)||1–0 (H)|
|Legia Warsaw||3–2||1–1 (A)||2–1 (a.e.t.) (H)||Second round||Carl Zeiss Jena||2–0||0–0 (A)||2–0 (H)|
|Spartak Moscow||2–1||1–0 (A)||1–1 (H)||Quarter-finals||Rapid București||8–1||5–0 (H)||3–1 (A)|
|Sparta Prague||2–0||1–0 (H)||1–0 (A)||Semi-finals||Hajduk Split||1–0||1–0 (H)||0–0 (A)|
- 1973 European Cup Final
- 1973 UEFA Cup Final
- A.C. Milan in European football
- Leeds United F.C. in European football
- Uefa asked to probe Leeds United's 1973 Cup Winners' Cup defeat to AC Milan Daily Telegraph, 15 April 2009, retrieved on 28 May 2009
- UEFA asked to probe United's final defeat Yorkshire Evening Post, 3 April 2009, retrieved on 28 May 2009
- "MEP calls for inquiry into Milan-Leeds Euro final". Richard Corbett MEP. 10 August 2006. Archived from the original on 30 May 2009. Retrieved 2006-11-11.