2007 Romanian electoral system referendum
A referendum on changing the electoral system to a two-round system was held in Romania on 25 November 2007, on the same date as the election to the European Parliament. The referendum was called by President Traian Băsescu on 23 October 2007 when the Parliament of Romania failed to meet a deadline set by him to pass these changes.
The precise question was:
Do you agree that, beginning with the next elections that will be held for the Romanian Parliament, all deputies and senators be elected in single-member constituencies, based on a majority vote in two rounds?
Sunteți de acord ca, începând cu primele alegeri care vor fi organizate pentru Parlamentul României, toți deputații și senatorii să fie aleși în circumscripții uninominale, pe baza unui scrutin majoritar în două tururi?
While the system proposed by the president would mirror the French two-round electoral system, Prime Minister Călin Popescu-Tăriceanu has proposed a mixed member proportional system based on the German electoral system. The proposed legislation would also reduce the number of MPs by about 20 per cent.
While the Greater Romania Party (PRM) challenged the legality of holding the referendum at the same time as the EP election, the Constitutional Court of Romania decided on November 7 that it was not illegal.
|Invalid or blank votes||119,618||2.46|
|Registered voters and turnout||18,296,459||26.51|
|Source: Biroul Electoral Central|
Although 81% of voters were in favour of the proposal, the low turnout of 26% meant that the referendum was invalid. Thus, the MMP proposal of PM Tăriceanu was used at the next elections instead.
- "Romanian President Traian Basescu signs referendum decree", at HotNews.ro
- "The debate about Romania's future electoral system"[permanent dead link], at CourrierInternational.com
- "Romania Leaders Push for Electoral Reform" Archived 2007-12-25 at the Wayback Machine, at BIRN.eu.com
- Governing party defeated in Romania's European Parliament election
- Romania holds first EP elections; low turnout invalidates election referendum, SETimes
- Romania faces its first uninominal voting on Sunday, HotNews.ro