2013 Aberdeen Donside by-election
The Aberdeen Donside by-election, 2013 is a by-election that was held for the Scottish Parliament constituency of Aberdeen Donside on Thursday 20 June, following the death from cancer of the constituency's MSP, Brian Adam.
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of Scotland|
|Category · Scotland portal|
The seat was created as Aberdeen North following the establishment of the Scottish Parliament in 1999. In the first election to the Scottish Parliament the seat was won by the Scottish Labour Party, but was gained by Brian Adam (who had contested, but lost, the seat in 1999) for the Scottish National Party in the next election. He held the seat in 2007 and 2011 with increased majorities. In the last election, Adam held the seat with a majority of 7,175 votes.
In the 2011 Scottish Parliament election, the SNP became the first ever majority government of the Scottish Parliament, winning 69 seats out of 129. Prior to Adam's death, however, the SNP only held a majority of one (following the election of Tricia Marwick as presiding officer and the departure of three other MSPs). This meant that if the SNP lost the by-election then the government would lose its overall majority.
SNP list MSP for the North-East region, Mark McDonald, resigned his seat to contest the constituency by-election. McDonald held the seat for the SNP, but with a significantly reduced majority on a lower turnout.
|Liberal Democrats||Christine Jardine||1,940||8.30||+3.10|
|National Front||Dave MacDonald||249||1.07||+0.27|
|Scottish Christian||Tom Morrow||222||0.95||N/A|
Scottish Parliament Election result, 2011
|Scottish Parliament election, 2011: Aberdeen Donside|
Blue background denotes the winner of the electorate vote.
|Liberal Democrats||Millie McLeod||1,606||6.0||-10.0||1,390||5.2|
|All Scotland Pensioners Party||544||2.0|
|Christian Party "Proclaiming Christ's Lordship"||210||0.8|
|National Front||Christopher Willett||213||0.8||+0.8||135||0.5|
|Independent - John Cox||38||0.1|
|Independent - Andrew McBride||8||0.03|
|Angus Independent Representatives||6||0.02|
|Total Valid votes||26,707||26,792|
- Aberdeen Donside, and its predecessor, Aberdeen North
- Elections in Scotland
- List of by-elections to the Scottish Parliament
- "Aberdeen SNP MSP Brian Adam dies aged 64". BBC News. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Urquhart, Frank (14 May 2013). "Aberdeen Donside by-election: SNP MSP quits Holyrood". The Scotsman. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Urquhart, Frank (17 May 2013). "Nine candidates confirmed for Donside by-election". The Scotsman. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 July 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)