2014 Dublin South-West by-election
A by-election was held in the Dáil Éireann Dublin South-West constituency in Ireland on Friday, 10 October 2014, following the election of Fine Gael Teachta Dála (TD) Brian Hayes to the European Parliament.
Dublin South-West shown within County Dublin
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2011 stipulates that a by-election in Ireland must be held within six months of a vacancy occurring. The Roscommon–South Leitrim by-election was held on the same date.
Paul Murphy of the Anti-Austerity Alliance was elected on the eighth count. Murphy's victory came as a surprise as Sinn Féin had performed extremely well in local elections the previous May, winning 50.3% of the first preference vote in the Tallaght South LEA and 32% in the Tallaght Central LEA, and were widely predicted to win the seat. Murphy largely campaigned on the issue of Irish Water, stating that Sinn Féin could not be trusted to oppose water charges. In the wake of a poor local election result, Labour and Fine Gael were not considered contenders for the seat while Fianna Fáil largely focused its resources on the Roscommon–South Leitrim by-election.
Murphy's victory brought the issue of water charges to the forefront of political debate in the run-up to the 2016 general election, and contributed to a shift in Sinn Féin's position to one of outright opposition.
|Sinn Féin||Cathal King||30.3||7,288||7,304||7,340||7,448||7,580||7,828||8,017||8,999|
|Anti-Austerity Alliance||Paul Murphy||27.2||6,540||6,579||6,622||6,890||7,079||7,436||7,726||9,565|
|Fine Gael||Cáit Keane||8.8||2,110||2,117||2,194||2,203||2,267||2,575||3,857|
|Fianna Fáil||John Lahart||8.6||2,077||2,085||2,138||2,152||2,200|
|People Before Profit||Nicky Coules||2.2||530||540||554|
|Green||Francis Noel Duffy||1.9||447||453|
|Electorate: 70,400 Valid: 24,024 Spoilt: 256 (1.1%) Quota: 12,013 Turnout: 24,280 (34.5%)|
- "Two byelections 'to be held on October 10th'". The Irish Times. 29 August 2014.
- "Ní Riada elected, counts suspended in Midlands North West and South". RTÉ News. 27 May 2014.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2011". Irish Statute Book. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Paul Murphy elected in Dublin South-West by-election". RTÉ News. 11 October 2014.
- Howlin, Gerard (27 April 2016). "Water charges vital to tax base and to supporting those on low incomes". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Dublin South-West by-election". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 11 October 2014.