Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo
The Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo (Albanian: Kuvendi i Republikës së Kosovës; Serbian: Скупштина Републике Косово, Skupština Republike Kosovo) the legislative institution of the Republic of Kosovo[a] that is directly elected by the people every four years. It was originally established by the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo in 2001 to provide 'provisional, democratic self-government'. On February 17, 2008, representatives of the people of Kosovo unilaterally declared Kosovo's independence and subsequently adopted the Constitution of Kosovo, which came into effect on 15 June 2008.
Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo
|8th Kosovan Assembly|
Confidence and supply (1)|
Multiethnic group (1)
Length of term
|Salary||1,547 € monthly|
|Open list party-list proportional representation|
|14 February 2021|
|Assembly Building, Pristina, Kosovo|
|Constitution and law|
The Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo is regulated by the Constitution of Kosovo and has 120 directly-elected members; 20 are reserved for national minorities as follows:
- 10 seats for the representatives of the Serbs.
- 4 seats for the representatives of the Romani, Ashkali and Egyptians.
- 3 seats for the Bosniaks.
- 2 seats for the Turks.
- 1 seat for the Gorans.
Albanian is the official language of the majority, but all languages of minorities such as Serbian, Turkish and Bosnian are used, with simultaneous interpretation.
- Committee for Agriculture, Forestry, Rural Development, Infrastructure, Environment, Spatial Planning and Infrastructure
- Committee for Budget, Labor and Transfers
- Committee for Economy, Industry, Entrepreneurship and Trade
- Committee for Education, Science, Technology, Innovation, Culture, Youth and Sports
- Committee for European Integration
- Committee for Foreign Affairs and Diaspora
- Committee for Health and Social Welfare
- Committee for Human Rights, Gender Equality, Missing Persons, Victims of War Sexual Violence and Petitions
- Committee for Legislation, Mandates, Immunities, Rules of Procedure of the Assembly and Oversight of the Anti-Corruption Agency
- Committee for Public Administration, Local Government, Media and Regional Development
- Committee for Security and Defense
- Committee for the Rights and Interests of Communities and Returns
- Oversight Committee of the Kosovo Intelligence Agency
- Public Finance Oversight Committee
Most recent election results
|Democratic Party of Kosovo||148,285||17.01||19||–5|
|Democratic League of Kosovo||110,985||12.73||15||–15|
|Alliance for the Future of Kosovo||62,111||7.12||8||–5|
|Social Democratic Initiative||21,997||2.52||0||–4|
|Turkish Democratic Party of Kosovo||6,496||0.75||2||0|
|New Democratic Initiative of Kosovo||3,305||0.38||1||0|
|New Democratic Party||2,885||0.33||1||0|
|Social Democratic Union||2,549||0.29||1||New|
|Egyptian Liberal Party||2,430||0.28||0||–1|
|Unique Gorani Party||2,161||0.25||1||0|
|Ashkali Party for Integration||2,138||0.25||1||0|
|Democratic Ashkali Party of Kosovo||1,960||0.22||0||0|
|Civic Initiatives for Freedom, Justice and Survival||1,508||0.17||0||New|
|Movement for Integration||1,261||0.14||0||New|
|Innovative Turkish Movement Party||1,243||0.14||0||New|
|Progressive Movement of Kosovar Roma||1,208||0.14||1||New|
|United Roma Party of Kosovo||1,074||0.12||0||–1|
|Coalition Together (GIG–PG)||1,010||0.12||0||0|
|Kosovar New Romani Party||600||0.07||0||0|
|Serbian Democratic Alliance||476||0.05||0||New|
|Albanian National Front Party||155||0.02||0||New|
|Source: CEC, CEC, CEC|
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008. Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the 2013 Brussels Agreement. Kosovo is currently recognized as an independent state by 96 out of the 193 United Nations member states. In total, 113 UN member states are said to have recognized Kosovo at some point, of which 15 later withdrew their recognition.|
- "Deputetët, punë pak e paga shumë" [Deputies, little work and high salary] (in Albanian). Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 8 May 2020.
- "Constitutional Framework for Provisional Self-Government" (PDF). United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo. 2001-05-15. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-05-10. Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in Respect of Kosovo, Advisory Opinion, I.C.J. Reports 2010, p. 403. ISBN 978-92-1-071107-4
- "Roli dhe kompetencat e Kuvendit". Kuvendi i Kosovës (in Albanian). Retrieved 2021-03-23.
- "Komisionet" [Committee] (in Albanian). Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo. Retrieved 8 July 2021.