|Date of birth||10 June 1958|
|Place of birth||Montebelluna, Italy|
|1994–1996||Udinese (youth team)|
|1996–2001||Venezia (youth team)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Tesser, a defender, started his playing career with Treviso. He moved to Napoli in 1978, where he played two seasons. He then played for Udinese from 1980 to 1985, and then for some lower league teams, including Perugia and Catania. He was also capped for the Italian U-21 side.
After his retirement, Tesser began a coaching career in 1992 for Serie D side Sevegliano, and successively became a coach at the youth level for Udinese and Venezia. His first professional coaching job came in 2001, for Serie C2 side F.C. Südtirol. In 2003, he replaced Ezio Rossi at the helm of U.S. Triestina Calcio of Serie B. After a very good season, followed by a poorer one, Tesser moved to Cagliari Calcio of Serie A in 2006, but was fired just after the first league match by team chairman Massimo Cellino. In July 2006 he was named coach of Ascoli, replacing Marco Giampaolo. However, after a serie of struggling results ended in a 1–0 home defeat to Empoli F.C. in the 11th matchday, Tesser was fired and replaced by Nedo Sonetti.
Tesser started the 2007–08 season at the helm of Serie B side Mantova, with the aim to fight for a promotion spot; however, results did not confirm the initial goals, and he was sacked on 24 February 2008, leaving Mantova in seventh place, seven points far from the fourth playoff spot.
In June 2009 he was named Novara manager. His tenure proved to be highly successful, as he led his club to become Lega Pro Prima Divisione champions in his first season in charge. In the 2010–11 season, Tesser repeated himself as he guided Novara to third place in the final table, then winning a second consecutive promotion to Serie A after defeating Reggina and Padova in the playoffs. The Serie A comeback however proved to be particularly difficult for Novara, who only won 12 points after the first 20 games: this cost Tesser the job, as he was removed from his managerial duties on 30 January 2012 following a 2–0 away loss against Palermo; he was replaced by veteran coach Emiliano Mondonico. On 6 March 2012 he was recalled by Novara as head coach, but on 31 October 2012 he was again sacked.
In the summer of 2016 he was hired by the Cremonese. He was dismissed from Cremonese on 23 April 2018.
On 4 July 2018 Tesser has been appointed as the new head coach of Pordenone Calcio. On his first season as Pordenone boss, he guided the small Friuli club to direct promotion to Serie B (the first in club history) as Serie C/B champions.
He was fired on 3 April 2021 after a 1–4 loss to Brescia that left Pordenone two points shy of relegation.
|Südtirol||1 July 2001||30 June 2003||86||37||31||18||125||85||+40||43.02|
|Triestina||1 July 2003||30 June 2005||96||32||32||32||106||113||−7||33.33|
|Cagliari||1 July 2005||29 August 2005||4||2||1||1||8||6||+2||50.00|
|Ascoli||20 May 2006||13 November 2006||13||1||4||8||11||16||−5||7.69|
|Mantova||11 June 2007||24 February 2008||28||12||6||10||40||34||+6||42.86|
|Padova||13 January 2009||22 February 2009||5||1||1||3||1||5||−4||20.00|
|Novara||11 June 2009||30 January 2012||114||47||40||27||165||123||+42||41.23|
|Novara||6 March 2012||31 October 2012||26||8||8||10||35||40||−5||30.77|
|Ternana||31 December 2013||13 June 2015||65||21||20||24||68||83||−15||32.31|
|Avellino||13 June 2015||22 March 2016||34||13||7||14||49||48||+1||38.24|
|Avellino||20 April 2016||31 May 2016||5||1||2||2||5||9||−4||20.00|
|Cremonese||31 May 2016||23 April 2018||83||35||25||23||119||97||+22||42.17|
|Pordenone||4 July 2018||3 April 2021||116||46||42||28||144||117||+27||39.66|
|Modena||22 June 2021||Present||0||0||0||0||0||0||+0||—|
- "ESONERATO ATTILIO TESSER" (in Italian). AC Mantova. 2008-02-24. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- "ATTILIO TESSER NUOVO ALLENATORE DEL PADOVA" (in Italian). Calcio Padova. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2009-02-22. [dead link]
- "CARLO SABATINI TORNA A SEDERE SULLA PANCHINA DEL PADOVA" (in Italian). Calcio Padova. 2009-02-22. Retrieved 2009-02-22. [dead link]
- "TESSER LASCIA IL NOVARA, IN ARRIVO MONDONICO". Novara Calcio (in Italian). 30 January 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Caos Novara, Tesser torna in panchina Mondonico esonerato dopo 6 partite". Novara Calcio (in Italian). 7 March 2012. Archived from the original on 10 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Tesser esonerato dal Novara Promosso Gattuso dalla Primavera" (in Italian). Gazzetta dello Sport. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Attilio Tesser è il nuovo allenatore dell'Avellino" (in Italian). A.S. Avellino 1912. 13 June 2015. Archived from the original on 14 June 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "COMUNICATO – TESSER SOLLEVATO DALL'INCARICO, IL CDA SI RISERVA OGNI DECISIONE SULLE DIMISSIONI DI GIAMMARIOLI" (in Italian). U.S. Cremonese. 23 April 2018.
- "ATTILIO TESSER È IL NUOVO ALLENATORE DEL PORDENONE CALCIO | Pordenone Calcio". www.pordenonecalcio.com (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "COMUNICAZIONE CONDUZIONE TECNICA" (in Italian). Pordenone Calcio. 3 April 2021. Retrieved 3 April 2021.
- "Attilio Tesser career sheet". footballdatabase. footballdatabase. Retrieved 22 August 2020.