Austria–United Kingdom relations
Relations between the Austrian Empire and England were established in the Middle Ages although formal relations began only in 1799. The two nations were enemies during the First World War and the Second World War. The United Kingdom and Austria now have warm relations.
According to the 2001 UK Census, some 20,000 Austrian born people were living in the UK, which is actually a drop of around 5% from 1991, despite this there are also large but unknown numbers of British born people of Austrian descent.
The Austrian ambassador to the United Kingdom is Michael Zimmermann, he took up his post in August 2018. The British ambassador to Austria is Leigh Turner who took up his post in August 2016.
Resident diplomatic missions
- Embassy of Austria in London
- Embassy of the United Kingdom in Vienna
- Austrians in the United Kingdom
- Britishs in Austria
- Anglo-Austrian Alliance, a historic military alliance between the states that existed between 1731 and 1756
- "Ceremonies: State visits". Official web site of the British Monarchy. Archived from the original on 2008-11-06. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- "OUTWARD STATE VISITS MADE BY THE QUEEN SINCE 1952". Official web site of the British Monarchy. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "BBC Born Abroad, Austria". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- Austrian Embassy UK https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/about-us/the-ambassador/. Retrieved 31 August 2019. Missing or empty
- "Change of Her Majesty's Ambassador to Austria and UK Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Vienna". Foreign & Commonwealth Office. 17 December 2015.