Cooperation is carried out in such areas as logistics, education, medicine, transport, food industry, etc.
The Lithuanian Consular Department in Baku has been functioning since March 27, 1991. In 2010, the intergovernmental Commission on economic cooperation was established. To date, five meetings of this Commission have been held.
Azerbaijan has had its representative office in Lithuania since September 6, 2007 (Vilnius), just as Lithuania has had its representative office in Azerbaijan since April 3, 2007 (Baku).
On April 6, 2009, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Vigaudas Usackas met with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan Elmar Mammadyarov in Baku. After the meeting, a joint press conference was held at the level of the foreign ministries of both countries.
Heads of states
- October 13, 2005 – working visit of the President of Lithuania V. Adamkus to Azerbaijan.
- June 8–9, 2006 – official visit of the President of Lithuania V. Adamkus to Azerbaijan.
- June 19–21, 2007 – working visit of the President of Lithuania V. Adamkus to participate in the GUAM Summit.
- September 13–14, 2007 – official visit of President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev to Lithuania.
- October 10–11, 2007 – working visit of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to Lithuania to participate in the energy Summit held in Vilnius.
- November 13–14, 2008 – working visit of the President of Azerbaijan V. Adamkus to Azerbaijan to participate in the Energy Summit held in Baku.
- May 2–3, 2011 – official visit of the President of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė to Azerbaijan.
- November 28–29, 2013 – working visit of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to Lithuania to participate in the Vilnius Summit.
Chairmen of Parliaments
- June 5–7, 2005 – official visit of the Chairman of the Seimas of Lithuania A. Paulauska to Azerbaijan.
- May 14–16, 2009 – official visit of the Chairman of the Milli Majlis of Azerbaijan O. Asadov to Lithuania.
- February 8–11, 2011 – official visit of the Chairman of the Seimas of Lithuania I. Degutienen to Azerbaijan.
- October 18–22, 2017 – official visit of the Deputy Chairman of the Seimas of Lithuania I. Shiauliene to Azerbaijan.
- April 1–3, 2004 – official visit of the Prime Minister of Azerbaijan A. Rasizade to Lithuania.
- April 21–22, 2008 – official visit of the Prime Minister of Lithuania G. Kirkilas to Azerbaijan.
- July 5, 2011 – official visit of the Prime Minister of Lithuania A. Kubilius to Azerbaijan.
- April 7–9, 2013 – working visit of Prime Minister of Lithuania Algirdas Butkevitsis to Azerbaijan to participate in the Global Economic Forum held in Baku.
- Minister of justice of Azerbaijan F. Mammadov paid a visit to Lithuania in 2001.
- Ministers of foreign Affairs of Lithuania paid visits to Azerbaijan in 2002, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Azerbaijani Ministers of Defence paid visits to Lithuania in 2002, 2004, 2012, 0214, 2015.
- Minister of Justice of Lithuania V. Makiavich paid a visit to Azerbaijan in 2002.
- Ministers of Defence of Lithuania paid visits to Azerbaijan in 2003, 2007.
- MFA Elmar Mammadyarov paid visits to Lithuania in 2011, 2017.
On April 8, 2009, a Memorandum on deepening political dialogue was signed between Azerbaijan and Lithuania. On the same day, a joint Azerbaijani-Lithuanian business forum with the participation of 20 companies was held in Baku with the financial support of the Ministry of economic development of Azerbaijan.
In early 2013, during the 78th international exhibition and fair "Green Week", the parties signed a document on the establishment of a legal framework for the development of joint activities in the field of agriculture.
On September 17–19, 2019, representatives of small and medium-sized businesses of the Azerbaijan Development Agency (AIDA) paid a working visit to Lithuania. Issues such as the functioning of digital structures of environmental systems, exchange of experience, training of qualified employees, etc. were discussed.
In October 2019, during the working visit of the Minister of social security and labor of Lithuania Linas Kukuraitis to Azerbaijan, an agreement on cooperation in the field of social security was signed. Prospects for cooperation in the field of children's rights protection were discussed. Joint twinning projects are being implemented.
Information and communication technologies (ICT) is also a priority area for cooperation. In April 2012, Azerbaijan and Lithuania signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of ICT. The collaboration involved building an "e-government" and using an electronic digital signature.
- On November 30, 1992, the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of Lithuania signed an agreement on trade and economic cooperation for 1993;
- In 2004, the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of Lithuania signed a Convention on the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of tax evasion on income and property in Vilnius.
- On April 21, 2008, the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of Lithuania signed an agreement on economic, industrial and energy cooperation in Baku.
- On January 18, 2013, the Ministry of agriculture of Azerbaijan and the Ministry of agriculture of Lithuania signed an agreement on cooperation in the agricultural sphere in Berlin.
Azerbaijan exports to Lithuania such goods as oil, equipment, processors, fruits and vegetables, construction materials (cement), etc.
One of the main directions of Azerbaijani-Lithuanian cooperation is transport, in particular, railway communication.
In April 2016, an agreement on cargo transportation between the two countries was signed between the Azerbaijani company "ADY Express" and the joint-stock company "Lithuanian Railways" in Vilnius.
In August 2016, during the opening session of Azerbaijani and Lithuanian experts, an agreement on logistics was signed.
In the international arena, cooperation is carried out within the framework of various international organizations: the Council of Europe, The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), etc.
Lithuania supports Azerbaijan's position on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
In February 2011, during the business forum, an agreement was signed between the Lithuanian Business Confederation and Vilnius University with higher educational institutions of Azerbaijan.
In 2011, a bilateral agreement was signed between the Director General of the Lithuanian Business Confederation, A. Akstinas, and the President of the Azerbaijan National Confederation of Entrepreneurs, M. Musayev.
In 2011, a cooperation agreement was signed between the management of Vilnius University and the Director of the Institute of Cybernetics of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan (ANAS), T. Aliyev.
About 200 students from Azerbaijan are studying at higher educational institutions in Lithuania. One of the classrooms at Vilnius Pedagogical University is dedicated to the Azerbaijani poet and thinker Nizami Ganjavi.
In February 2018, the 100th anniversary of Gara Garayev was celebrated in Vilnius.
The community of Azerbaijanis of Lithuania
In 1988, the society of Azerbaijanis in Lithuania "Odlar Yurdu" was established in Lithuania under the Lithuanian Culture Foundation. This Community contributed to the creation of the Coordinating inter-national Association of Lithuania (1988–1992).
At the initiative of the Chairman of the community, a joint service of Catholics and Muslims was held in the Basilica of the Cathedral in Vilnius in January 1991, which was dedicated to the memory of those who died in January 1990 in Baku and January 1991 in Vilnius.
From 1992 to 1995, a representative Office of Azerbaijan functioned in the Lithuanian community of Azerbaijanis. October 6, 1992, Chairman of the community of Azerbaijanis Mahir Gamzayev was appointed as the Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan in Lithuania for the Affairs of Azerbaijanis and for the restoration of diplomatic relations between Lithuania and Azerbaijan.
In 1997, the community of Azerbaijanis in Lithuania "Odlar Yurdu" was renamed the Community of Azerbaijanis in Lithuania. The main goal of the Community is the development and preservation of the identity of Azerbaijanis living in Lithuania, their assimilation with the local population, etc.
- "Azerbaijan-Lithuania relations".
- "Экономика Литвы". polpred.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Mutual visits". vilnius.mfa.gov.az. Archived from the original on October 23, 2020. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- FS. "В Сейме Литвы обсуждены межпарламентские связи с Азербайджаном". vilnius.mfa.gov.az. Archived from the original on October 24, 2020. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Литовский депутат: Литва поддерживает территориальную целостность Азербайджана". SalamNews.org (in Russian). Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Lithuania". mfa.gov.az. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Литва – Азербайджан: углубление политического диалога". Литва на русском языке (новости в Литве). Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Cотрудничество между Азербайджаном и Литвой может быть расширено". www.anl.az. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Литва поделилась с Азербайджаном опытом в сфере е-экосистем для малого и среднего бизнеса | EU Neighbours". www.euneighbours.eu (in Russian). Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Министр: Азербайджан и Литва должны укреплять сотрудничество по использованию социальных данных (Эксклюзив)". Trend.Az (in Russian). October 1, 2019. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Азербайджано-литовские отношения".
- "Азербайджан и Литва будут сотрудничать в сфере ИКТ". AZE.az. April 4, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Конвенция между Правительством Азербайджанской Республики и Правительством Республики Литва " Об избежании двойного налогообложения..."". base.spinform.ru. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Азербайджан и Литва договорились о грузоперевозках между странами". Trans.INFO (in Russian). Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Узел, Кавказский. "Литва и Азербайджан подписали соглашение о сотрудничестве в военной сфере". Кавказский Узел. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "В Баку прошел Азербайджано-литовский бизнес-форум". www.anl.az. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "В Баку стартовал азербайджано-литовский молодежный летний лагерь". www.tatar-inform.ru (in Russian). Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "TBN". old.tbn.lt. Retrieved September 19, 2020.