BBC Earth (TV channel)
BBC Earth is a documentary subscription television channel featuring premium factual programming. The channel is wholly owned and operated by BBC Studios. Originally set to roll out internationally in 2014, it was later announced it would launch in 2015, starting in Poland.
|Broadcast area||Worldwide (except the UK)|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
1080i (16:9 HDTV)
|Sister channels||BBC Brit|
BBC World News
|Launched||1 February 2015 (Poland) |
13 April 2015 (Nordic Regions)
14 April 2015 (Romania, Turkey & Hungary)
1 September 2015 (Latin America & South Africa)
3 October 2015 (Asia)
28 December 2015 (Serbia)
1 January 2016 (Eastern Europe)
6 March 2017 (India, as Sony BBC Earth)
1 April 2017 (Philippines)
12 September 2017 (Laos)
1 October 2017 (Greece)
1 February 2018 (Croatia)
5 April 2018 (MENA)
22 October 2018 (New Zealand)
15 November 2018 (Czech Republic and Slovakia)
10 October 2019 (Australia)
BBC HD (Latin America only)
BBC Entertainment (Eastern Europe only)
|Closed||13 April 2017 (Latin America)|
In October 2013, the BBC announced that in 2014 it would rollout 3 new brands – BBC Earth, BBC First, and BBC Brit, with BBC Earth to be dedicated to premium factual programming. It was later announced that the channel would air series such as Frozen Planet and Wonders of the Universe. In addition, roughly 30 hours of new content would be ordered for the channel in its first year. The channel is set to replace BBC Knowledge; however, if the existing channel is successful in certain markets, it may continue to operate.
BBC Earth launched in the Latin American countries of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela on 1 September 2015, replacing BBC HD. On 13 April 2017, the channel ceased its transmissions only for Latin America along with BBC Entertainment and CBeebies.
In Asia, BBC Earth launched in Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam on 3 October 2015, replacing BBC Knowledge. In the Philippines, it was launch on 1 April 2017 along with BBC World News. On 12 September 2017, it was announced to be launch via Laosat DTH in Laos. In Myanmar, the channel was available via Sky Net and CANAL+.
BBC Earth premiered in Eastern European countries on 1 January 2016, replacing BBC Entertainment.
In Greece, the channel was launched at Cosmote TV on 1 October 2017.
Middle East & North Africa (MENA)
BBC have entered into a joint venture with Multi Screen Media to launch the channel in India, branded as Sony BBC Earth. It was launched on 6 March 2017, following regulatory approval of the joint venture. Kareena Kapoor is the ambassador for this channel.
On 6 December 2016, BBC Worldwide and Canadian media company Blue Ant Media announced plans to launch a Canadian version of BBC Earth. The channel launched on 24 January 2017 and on 18 February 2017 hosted the Canadian premiere of Planet Earth II, on the same date as the United States, where it also aired on BBC America. BBC Earth replaced Blue Ant Media's radX. Due to foreign ownership restrictions by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, the channel is fully owned by Blue Ant Media, with the BBC Earth brand and programming licensed from BBC Worldwide.
There are BBC Earth programming blocks on the following channels:
- ProSieben Maxx (Germany; since 3 September 2013).
- #0, previously Canal+ (Spain; since June 2015).
- Eén (Flanders; since Autumn 2015).
- WOWOW (Japan; since 2010)
- Middleton, Richard (18 October 2013). "BBCWW to scrap global iPlayer". C21 Media. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Julie Swanston sets out commissioning wish list for new BBC Worldwide Channels" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 8 October 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "BBC BRIT and BBC EARTH to make their global channel debut in Poland" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Curtis, Chris (12 December 2013). "BBCW lifts lid on male channel". BroadcastNow. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2014.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Parker, Robin (27 January 2014). "BBC Brit unveiled by Worldwide". BroadcastNow. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2014.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Nordics launch for BBC BRIT and BBC EARTH" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "BBC overhauls channels in Nordic region". Telecompaper. 6 March 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "HD csatornát indított a BBC Magyar nyelven". Sat-TV-Radio.hu (in Hungarian). 14 April 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide has today launched its new genre brand BBC EARTH as a linear channel in Romania" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Expands Global Footprint across Turkey" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide unveils the launch titles for BBC Earth's channel debut in Latin America" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Amaya, Hernàn (17 July 2015). "BBC to replace BBC HD with BBC Earth in Latin America". Nex TV News Latin America. Archived from the original on 18 October 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide closing Latin American pay-TV channels". Astra 2. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "BBC removes its channel from pay TV operators in Latin America". NexTV News. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "BBC Worldwide's new global brands BBC Brit and BBC Earth prove a hit with South African audiences" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Earth to Launch in Asia" (Press release). 22 July 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Earth and BBC World News launch on Cignal TV" (Press release). 29 March 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "BBC Worldwide launches channels in Laos" (Press release). 12 September 2017. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Get the channel - BBC Earth". BBC Asia.
- "BBC Earth HD u Hit i HD paketima" (Press release).
- "BBC Earth to launch on COSMOTE TV" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 13 September 2017. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "BBC Worldwide Expands Branded Services Footprint Across Middle East and North Africa" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 28 March 2018. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "BBC Worldwide and Multi Screen Media Form Joint Venture to Launch 'Sony BBC Earth' in India" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Yeo, Debra (6 December 2016). "BBC Earth channel to debut in Canada". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Barraclough, Leo (6 December 2016). "BBC Earth to Launch in Canada Following Blue Ant, BBC Worldwide Deal (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "BBC WORLDWIDE AND BLUE ANT MEDIA PARTNER TO BRING BBC EARTH TO CANADA". Blue Ant Media. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "BBC EARTH UNVEILS PROGRAMMING LINE-UP FOR CANADIAN LAUNCH ON JANUARY 24". Blue Ant Media. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "BBC Earth to launch on Sky in New Zealand" (Press release). realscreen.com. 27 August 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "BBC Earth branded block premieres on ProSieben MAXX in Germany" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "BBC Worldwide Secures BBC Earth deals in Spain and Flanders" (Press release). BBC Worldwide. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "BBC Earth Back Numbers/Past Programmes" (in Japanese). WOWOW.