Bay of Plenty District Health Board
The Bay of Plenty District Health Board (Bay of Plenty DHB or BOPDHB) is a district health board with the focus on providing healthcare to the Bay of Plenty area of New Zealand.
|Formation||1 January 2001|
|Founder||New Zealand Government|
|Services||Health and disability services|
|Ministry of Health|
The area covered by the Bay of Plenty District Health Board is defined in Schedule 1 of the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000 and based on territorial authority and ward boundaries as constituted as at 1 January 2001. The area initially identified was Tauranga District, Western Bay of Plenty District, Whakatane District, Kawerau District, and Ōpōtiki District. The area can be adjusted through an Order in Council, which happened on 27 April 2001, by clause 7 of the Health (Constituencies of District Health Boards) Order 2001, when Mayor Island / Tuhua and Motiti Island were added to the area.
The initial board was fully appointed. Since the 2001 local elections, the board has been partially elected (seven members) and in addition, up to four members get appointed by the Minister of Health. The minister also appoints the chairperson and deputy-chair from the pool of eleven board members.
Bay of Plenty DHB served a population of 240,183 at the time of the 2018 New Zealand census, an increase of 34,188 people (16.6%) since the 2013 census, and an increase of 45,252 people (23.2%) since the 2006 census. There were 87,105 households. There were 117,069 males and 123,111 females, giving a sex ratio of 0.95 males per female. Of the total population, 48,942 people (20.4%) were aged up to 15 years, 40,413 (16.8%) were 15 to 29, 103,791 (43.2%) were 30 to 64, and 47,034 (19.6%) were 65 or older. Figures may not add up to the total due to rounding.
Ethnicities were 76.8% European/Pākehā, 25.7% Māori, 3.0% Pacific peoples, 6.4% Asian, and 1.8% other ethnicities. People may identify with more than one ethnicity.
The percentage of people born overseas was 18.8, compared with 27.1% nationally.
Although some people objected to giving their religion, 50.1% had no religion, 34.3% were Christian, and 8.5% had other religions.
Of those at least 15 years old, 33,576 (17.6%) people had a bachelor or higher degree, and 36,312 (19.0%) people had no formal qualifications. The median income was $29,500. The employment status of those at least 15 was that 88,737 (46.4%) people were employed full-time, 29,433 (15.4%) were part-time, and 7,626 (4.0%) were unemployed.
- Tauranga Hospital (Tauranga South, Tauranga has 360 beds and provides psychogeriatric, geriatric, mental health, children's health, maternity, surgical and medical services. ) in
- Whakatāne Hospital ( ) in Whakatāne, Whakatane District has 96 beds and provides maternity, surgical, medical, mental health and children's health services.
In addition to the public hospitals the Bay of Plenty District Health Board Funds:
- The Te Kaha Medical Centre
- The Opotiki Health Centre (partial funding partnership)
- Bethlehem Birthing Centre (Bethlehem, Tauranga has 12 beds and provides maternity services. ) in
- Grace Hospital (Pyes Pa, Tauranga has 51 beds and provides surgical services. ) in
- Waipuna Hospice (Te Puna, Tauranga has 12 beds and provides medical services. ) in
- Between 1989 and 2003, the area now known as Tauranga City was Tauranga District.
- Rudman, Brian (13 February 2012). "Brian Rudman: Three health boards must marry and economise". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Public Health and Disability Act 2000, Schedule 1.
- Public Health and Disability Act 2000, Section 19.
- Health (Constituencies of District Health Boards) Order 2001, Parliamentary Counsel Office, 2001, retrieved 4 May 2020
- "District health boards". Ministry of Health. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Statistical area 1 dataset for 2018 Census". Statistics New Zealand. March 2020. Bay of Plenty DHB (07).
- "Tauranga Hospital – Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Whakatane Hospital – Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Bethlehem Birthing Centre – Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Grace Hospital – Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Waipuna Hospice – Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.