Canadian Bank Note Company
The Canadian Bank Note Company (CBNC) is a Canadian security printing company. It is best known for holding the contract with the Bank of Canada to supply it with Canada's banknotes since 1935. The company's other clients include private businesses, national and sub-national governments, central banks, and postal services from around the world. In addition to banknotes, the company produces passports, driver's licences, birth certificates, postage stamps, coupons, and many other security-conscious document-related products. It also prints and provides document reading systems for identification cards, lottery tickets, stamps, and banknotes.
|Headquarters||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Douglas R. Arends, Chair |
Ronald G. Arends, President and CEO
|Products||bank notes, passport, tickets, stamps, ID cards|
From 1897 until 1923, CBN was a unit of the New York-based American Bank Note Company (now known as ABCorp). It was later a privately held company when it was acquired by Ottawa businessman Charles Worthen; beginning in 1976 Douglas Arends slowly acquired control of the company. It has since been based in Ottawa, Ontario. In October 2006, RR Donnelley completed acquisition of Canadian Bank Note's financial printing business, consisting of documentation for initial public offerings.
Since 2014, the Canadian Bank Note Company has been the chief provider for machine-readable passports used within the Caribbean Community bloc of countries. The majority of the new CARICOM passports as they are called serve the union as a centrepiece of promoting easy travel within the Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME).
Samples of items printed by Canadian Bank Note Company:
- Bank of Canada $1 note, 1935
- Canada 1 cent MacDonald 1927
- Canada 10 cents Windsor Castle 1935
- Canada dollar Champlain 1935
- Canada Hydroelectrique 1946
- Canada George VI 1937
- Canada George VI 1942
- Canada George VI 1950
- Canada Castor 1951
- Canada 5 cents Elizabeth II Karsh
- Canada 5 cents Elizabeth II Wilding
- Canada 5 cents Chasse 1957
- PrintCAN News Archives - September 2006. Printcan.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- "Canadian Banknote Company Assures Highest Quality Passport" (Press release). Government of St. Kitts and Nevis Information Service. 11 December 2014. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "CANADIAN BANK NOTE COMPANY ASSURES HIGHEST PASSPORT QUALITY". SKNIS. 11 December 2014. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017.
- "Caribbean Net News: Canadian firm to supply machine-readable passports to Guyana". www.caribbeannetnews.com. 2007-10-30. Archived from the original on 2007-10-03. Retrieved 2021-02-22.