|City||Greensboro, North Carolina|
|League||American Hockey League|
|Home arena||Greensboro Coliseum|
|Colors||Red, Blue & Gold|
|Media||News & Record|
|1997–1999||Beast of New Haven|
In the spring of 1997, the Hartford Whalers of the NHL announced that they would play in the Greensboro Coliseum for two seasons as the newly named Carolina Hurricanes. The NHL team purchased the dethroned Monarchs, moving the franchise to New Haven, Connecticut, where the team played as the Beast of New Haven.
The market was previously served by:
- Carolina Thunderbirds/Winston-Salem Thunderbirds (ACHL, AAHL, ECHL) (1981–1992)
- Greensboro Monarchs (ECHL) (1989–1995)
The market was subsequently home to:
- Carolina Monarchs 1995–1997
- Beast of New Haven 1997–1999
|1995–96||80||28||38||11||3||70||313||343||4th, South||Out of playoffs|
|1996–97||80||28||43||4||5||65||273||303||5th, Mid-Atlantic||Out of playoffs|
- Scott, Jon C. (2006). Hockey Night in Dixie: Minor Pro Hockey in the American South. Heritage House Publishing Company Ltd. p. 144. ISBN 1-894974-21-2.