Clare College, Cambridge

Clare College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England. The college was founded in 1326 as University Hall, making it the second-oldest surviving college of the University after Peterhouse. It was refounded in 1338 as Clare Hall by an endowment from Elizabeth de Clare, and took on its current name in 1856. Clare is famous for its chapel choir and for its gardens on "The Backs" (the back of the colleges that overlook the River Cam).

Clare College
University of Cambridge
Entrance to Clare College
Arms of Clare College: Arms of de Clare (Or, three chevrons gules) impaling de Burgh (Or, a cross gules) all within a bordure sable guttée d'or. Elizabeth de Clare's first husband was John de Burgh (1286–1313). Usually the arms of the husband appear in the dexter half, the position of greatest honour, here occupied by the arms of de Clare. This shield with its bordure of gouttes d'or (golden droplets) appears on the personal seal of Elizabeth de Clare.
LocationTrinity Lane (map)
Coordinates52.2052°N 0.1150°E / 52.2052; 0.1150 (Clare College)
AbbreviationCL[1]
Established1326; 695 years ago (1326)
Named afterElizabeth de Clare
Previous namesUniversity Hall (1326-1338)
Clare Hall (1338-1856)
Sister collegesSt Hugh's College, Oxford
Oriel College, Oxford
MasterThe Lord Grabiner
Undergraduates517
Postgraduates272
Endowment£125.5m (2017)[2]
Websitewww.clare.cam.ac.uk
UCSucs.clare.cam.ac.uk
MCRmcr.clare.cam.ac.uk/about-the-mcr
Boat clubwww.clareboatclub.org.uk
Map
Location in Central Cambridge
Location in Cambridge

The current Master is barrister Anthony Grabiner, Baron Grabiner, who will be succeeded by Loretta Minghella in October 2021.[3]

Clare is consistently one of the most popular Cambridge colleges amongst prospective applicants.[4]