Clitheroe (UK Parliament constituency)

Clitheroe was a parliamentary constituency in Lancashire.

Clitheroe
Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
Clitheroe in Lancashire, showing boundaries used from 1974–1983
CountyLancashire
18851983
Number of members1
Replaced byRibble Valley, Burnley, Hyndburn and Pendle[1]
1559–1885
Number of members1559–1832: Two
1832–1885: One
Type of constituencyBorough constituency

The town of Clitheroe was first enfranchised as a parliamentary borough in 1559, returning two Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons of England until 1707, then to the House of Commons of Great Britain until 1800, and finally to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom until 1832. The borough's representation was reduced to one MP by the Reform Act 1832.

The parliamentary borough was abolished under the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885, and the name transferred to a new county division with effect from the 1885 general election. The county division returned one MP until it was abolished for the 1983 general election. It was then largely replaced by the new Ribble Valley constituency.


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Clitheroe (UK Parliament constituency), and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.