Comhairle Fo-Thuinn (pronounced [ˈkoːɾʲlʲə fˠɔˈhiːnʲ]; Irish for "Under-Wave Council"; CFT), also known as Irish Underwater Council (IUC) and trading as Diving Ireland, is the national governing body for recreational diving and underwater sports in Ireland.
Irish Underwater Council
|Legal status||Guarantee Company Without Share Capital.|
|Purpose||Recreational diving, diver training, underwater sports & sciences|
national governing body
|Headquarters||Dún Laoghaire, Ireland|
|Ireland and Northern Ireland|
|3000 member & 84 clubs (2004)|
National Diving Officer
CFT organises and promotes recreational scuba diving and snorkelling via a club system. It is administered by an executive committee is supported by the following four commissions: a Technical Commission which sets standards and tests for diving courses offered by its member clubs; a Medical Commission which advises on diving medical standards, treatment of diving medical conditions and monitors developments in hyperbaric medicine; a Sporting Commission which organises underwater sports, photography and an event known as the national gala; and a Scientific Commission which promotes underwater biology and archaeology. Its membership consists of both clubs and individuals which as of 2004 respectively totalled 3,000 and 84. While the majority of its activities are in the Republic of Ireland, a small number of members and clubs are located in Northern Ireland. It is incorporated as a Guarantee Company Without Share Capital under the name 'Comhairle Fo-Thuinn – Irish Underwater Council'.
CFT is recognised by the Irish Sports Council as the national governing body for recreational diving and underwater sports in the Republic of Ireland. It is the Irish representative to Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques with affiliations to the Sports, Technical and Scientific Committees. It is also a member of CMAS Europe and the European Underwater Federation. CFT is both a supporter and a member of the National Steering Group of the Marine Conservation Society-co-ordinated Seasearch program which seeks to 'gather information on seabed habitats and associated marine wildlife in Britain and Ireland through the participation of volunteer recreational divers'.
Scuba Diver grades
|CMAS 1 Star Diver||CFT Diver 1 Star|
|CMAS 2 Star Diver||CFT Diver 2 Star|
|CMAS 3 Star Diver||CFT Leading Diver|
|CMAS 4 Star Diver||CFT National Diver|
|CMAS 1 Star Instructor||CFT Instructor|
|CMAS 2 Star Instructor||CFT Examiner|
|CMAS 3 Star Instructor||CFT Leading Instructor|
|CMAS 4 Star Instructor||CFT National Instructor|
- Sport in Ireland – Survey of sporting participation and attendance in Ireland
- Northern Ireland Federation of Sub-Aqua Clubs – National governing body for recreational diving and underwater sport in Northern Ireland
- Lough Derg Sub-Aqua Club
- "Irish Underwater Council- Comhairle Fo Thuinn (CFT)". Marine Institute. Archived from the original on 14 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Join a Club". Comhairle Fo-Thuinn. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Irish Company Name: Comhairle Fo-Thuinn – Irish Underwater Council". Vision-net.ie. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Underwater Sport". Irish Sports Council (An Chomhairle Spoirt). Archived from the original on 21 December 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Comhairle Fo-Thuinn". Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Les pays membres". CMAS Europe. Archived from the original on 5 October 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "non-profit distributing members". European Underwater Federation. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "National Seasearch Project Aim and Objectives". Seasearch c/o Marine Conservation Society. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Who is Involved?". Seasearch c/o Marine Conservation Society. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Underwater Hockey". CFT. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Snorkelling Courses". Comhairle Fo-Thuinn. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Diving Courses". Comhairle Fo-Thuinn. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Diving courses". CFT. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "EUF Certified Training Systems/Training Organisations". EUF Certification International. Retrieved 30 September 2013.