Communities United Party
|Founded||2010 - 2015|
The party was founded by Kamran Malik, born in East London. He ran as an independent in West Ham at the 2010 general election, taking fifth place with 2.7% of the votes cast. He founded the party the same year, and ran in the contest to become Mayor of Newham, managing third place and saving his deposit with 7% of the vote. He then stood in City and East in the 2012 London Assembly election, taking sixth place and 4%.
From 2011, the party brought nine cases against Newham Borough Council in the courts over a variety of issues, the last being a claim that the council had made an inept loan to the London Pleasure Gardens project. However, they lost each case and in 2013 were banned from bringing any further cases under a civil restraint order.
The party again put Malik forward as its candidate for Mayor of Newham in 2014; he took fifth place with 3.6% of the vote. They also stood in London at the 2014 European Parliament election, campaigning for council tax and business rates reform, and universal university education. The party's leaflets attracted attention for featuring a large image of a bald eagle. The following month, Malik was jailed for six months after being convicted of illegally offering immigration advice and services.
The party stood five candidates in the 2015 general election, which were all in London.
The party stood two candidates in the 2019 general election.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 May 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Election 2010: West Ham". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Local Elections in England: 5 May 2010". House of Commons Library. 22 June 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Party banned from challenging Newham Council in High Court without judge’s permission", Newham Recorder, 22 May 2013
- "Vote 2014: Newham mayoral election result". BBC News. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "European elections: Party-by-party guide", BBC News
- "ARE POLITICIANS LEAFLET-OBSESSED?", Big Issue, 20 May 2014
- "Candidate for Newham Mayor Kamran Malik jailed for six months Archived 22 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine", Newham Recorder, 10 June 2014
- "Our Candidate". Archived from the original on 25 April 2015.
- "Immigration adviser jailed again for operating outside the law". Law Society Gazette. Retrieved 8 August 2018.