Assembly of the Community of Municipalities, Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija
The Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija (Serbian: Скупштина Заједнице општина Аутономне Покрајине Косово и Метохија / Skupština Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija), was the assembly of the association of local governments created by the municipal authorities in Kosovo elected in the May 11, 2008 municipal elections called by the Government of Serbia. It was created in Kosovska Mitrovica (North Kosovo) to represent the municipalities that defy the 2008 Kosovo declaration of independence. The Assembly is composed of 45 representatives delegated by 26 municipalities. The majority of delegates are ethnic Serbs, while some represent Gorani, Bosniak and Romani communities.
Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija
Скупштина Заједнице општина Аутономне Покрајине Косово и Метохија
Skupština Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija
|SRS (17) |
|11 May 2008|
|11 May 2008|
The first session of the Assembly took place on May 11 and the inaugural meeting of the assembly occurred on Vidovdan, the feast day for St. Vitus, June 28 in 2008—a historically important date for Serbs that commemorates the 1389 Battle of Kosovo. Radovan Ničić is the President of the Assembly.
The seats in the Assembly are divided as follows:
- Serbian Radical Party – 17
- Democratic Party of Serbia – 13
- Socialist Party of Serbia – 4
- Democratic Party – 3
- G17 Plus – 1
- Civic Initiative of Gora – 1
- Independent – 4
The elections which are basis for the Assembly were not recognised by the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) or the government of Kosovo. The creation of the Assembly has been condemned by President of Kosovo Fatmir Sejdiu as an act aimed at destabilising Kosovo while UNMIK has said the creation is not a serious issue because the Assembly will not have an operative role.
In September 2013 Serbia ended its support of the municipal assemblies that appointed the members of the Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija. Serbia appointed temporary leaders until the 2013 Kosovo municipal elections were completed. The Association of Serbian Municipalities is yet to be formed.
- Serbs in Kosovo
- Kosovo Serb enclaves
- Serbian National Council of Kosovo and Metohija
- Politics of Kosovo
- Community of Serb Municipalities
- "Serbs form rival Kosovo assembly". BBC News. June 14, 2008. Retrieved June 14, 2008.
- Vesna Peric Zimonjic (June 29, 2008). "Kosovo Serbs set up rival assembly". The Independent. UK. Archived from the original on June 30, 2008. Retrieved June 29, 2008.
- "Kosovo Serbs launch new assembly". BBC News. June 28, 2008. Retrieved June 28, 2008.
- Ben Cahoon. "Kosovo". Worldstatesmen.org. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- "Kosovo Serbs convene parliament; Pristina, international authorities object". Southeast European Times. June 30, 2008. Retrieved July 1, 2008.