Conference of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs of Parliaments of the European Union
The Conference of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs of Parliaments of the European Union (COSAC) is a conference of Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) and national Members of Parliament (MPs) who are drawn from parliamentary committees responsible for European Union affairs.
|European Union portal|
History and role
COSAC was founded in 1989 on a proposal of Laurent Fabius, then President of the French National Assembly and at the same time an MEP on the European Parliament Committee on Constitutional Affairs (AFCO). COSAC meets twice a year in the member state that holds the rotating Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
The conference is mainly intended for personal contacts between Members of National Parliaments and MEPs, and for exchanges of information. The conference is therefore interested in the means by which the parliaments are able to co-operate and communicate with each other via interparliamentary meetings, and through the IPEX scrutiny website. The 17 Biannual COSAC report from April 2012 focused on recent developments in parliamentary scrutiny and the parliaments' use of IPEX.
COSAC may also adopt contributions addressed to the EU institutions. COSAC has gained the right to submit contributions and examine proposals on EU law relating to Justice and Home Affairs and saw its role further expand under the Treaty of Lisbon with provisions for increased involvement of national parliaments in EU affairs.
COSAC is a French acronym for the conference's former name "Conférence des organes spécialisés dans les affaires communautaires et européennes des parlements de l'Union européenne" (Conference of Community and European Affairs Committees of Parliaments of the European Union). It is known by similar terms such as the Conference of European Community Affairs Committees and under the Treaty of Lisbon COSAC's name is listed as the conference of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs.
List of European affairs committees
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2009)
|Belgium||Advisory Committee on European Affairs and Federal Advisory Committee on European Affairs (includes MEPs)|
|France||The Committee in Charge of European Affairs (lower house)|
|Germany||Committee on the Affairs of the European Union (lower house) and the Committee on European Union Questions (upper house) (also, the Chamber for European Affairs in the upper house)|
|Ireland||Joint Committee on European Union Affairs|
|Italy||Committee on European Union Policies (lower house) and Committee on European Union Policies (upper house)|
|Poland||European Union Affairs Committee (lower house) European Union Affairs Committee (upper house)|
|Romania||The Committee on European Affairs (lower house) and European Affairs Committee (upper house)|
|Slovakia||European Affairs Committee|
|Slovenia||Committee on European Union Affairs|
|Spain||Joint Commission for the European Union|
|Sweden||The Committee on EU Affairs|
|United Kingdom||European Scrutiny Committee (lower house) and European Union Committee (upper house, includes sub-committees)|
- European Assizes
- National parliaments of the European Union
- Joint parliamentary meeting on the Future of Europe
- List of acronyms: European sovereign-debt crisis
- "Europa glossary: National parliaments". European Union website. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "22-24 April 2012 Plenary Meeting". Retrieved 8 June 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Treaty of Lisbon: A more democratic and transparent Europe". European Union website. 2008. Archived from the original on 2007-12-29. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Treaty of Lisbon: Protocol on the Role of National Parliaments in the European Union" (PDF). Eur-Lex website. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.;
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-03. Retrieved 2011-09-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Bundesrat - Committee on European Union Affairs". www.bundesrat.de.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2011-09-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Oireachtas, Houses of the. "European Union Affairs, Houses of the Oireachtas". www.oireachtas.ie.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-15. Retrieved 2011-09-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "European Union Affairs Committee (SUE)". www.sejm.gov.pl.
- "Senat RP - Prace Komisji". www.senat.gov.pl. Archived from the original on 2011-08-20. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Committees of the Chamber of Deputies". www.cdep.ro.
- României, Senatul. "Pagina Oficială a Senatului României". www.senat.ro.
- "European Affairs Committee of National Council". www.nrsr.sk.
- "Comisiones - Congreso de los Diputados". www.congreso.es.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2011-09-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)