Conservative Way Forward
Sir Christopher Chope
|Affiliations||Conservative Party |
|Part of the politics series on|
Conservative Way Forward was founded in 1991 to "defend and build upon the achievements of the Conservative Party under Margaret Thatcher's leadership, and to adapt the principles of her era in government to modern concerns and challenges".
Margaret Thatcher Library
On 14 April 2013, the group announced that it was setting up a Margaret Thatcher Library as a permanent memorial to the former Prime Minister. The project will be based on the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, and has the support of several current and former Conservative cabinet members. It is expected to run training courses for young Conservatives and exchange student programmes to the US and elsewhere, as well as house artifacts from her premiership.
In December 2015 Paul Abbott resigned as chief executive, and Donal Blaney resigned as chairman, following the suicide of Elliott Johnson soon after being made redundant as an employee of Conservative Way Forward. This followed the resignations of Minister of State for International Development Grant Shapps, and the expulsion from the Conservative Party of Mark Clarke, following allegations of bullying of Elliott Johnson.
Honorary Vice Presidents:
- Christopher Chope, former Transport Minister and former Chairman of Conservative Way Forward
- Liam Fox, International Trade Secretary and former Defence Secretary
- Greg Hands, former Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- William Hague, former Foreign Secretary
- Norman Tebbit, former Party Chairman
- Sajid Javid, Home Secretary, former Communities Secretary and Business Secretary
- Gerald Howarth, former defence minister (2015–)
- Council Members
Board of Management
Former Honorary Chairmen:
- Cecil Parkinson (1991–1997)
- Eric Forth (1997–2001)
- Christopher Chope (2001–2009)
- Don Porter CBE (2009–2012)
- Donal Blaney (−2015)
- "Tory quits in 'hidden cuts' row". News. BBC. 25 March 2005.
- Hope, Christopher (2 April 2013). "Former Coalition defence minister takes over Margaret Thatcher legacy group to fight defence cuts". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Donal Blaney Retrieved 5 Feb 2016
- Hennessy, Patrick (14 April 2013). "Margaret Thatcher: plans to build museum as permanent memorial". The Sunday Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group.
- Grierson, Jamie (19 December 2015). "Two figures at Tory thinktank linked to alleged bullying step down". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Jones, Callum (20 December 2015). "Tory campaign group leaders resign over bullying scandal". The Times. London: News UK. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Eric Forth". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. 19 May 2006.
- "Christopher Chope". Members of Parliament. The Conservative Party.