Declan O'Loan (born 5 August 1951) is a former member of the Northern Ireland Assembly in the North Antrim constituency, and a serving member of Ballymena Borough Council. He is a member of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), but the party whip was withdrawn on 25 May 2010.
|Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly|
for Antrim North
7 March 2007 – 5 May 2011
|Preceded by||Sean Farren|
|Succeeded by||Jim Allister|
|Born||5 August 1951|
Carnlough, Northern Ireland
|Alma mater||Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge|
Imperial College London
O'Loan was elected for the SDLP in the 2007 Assembly Elections. He was suspended by the SDLP after advocating a merger between the SDLP and Sinn Féin to form a single nationalist party. The SDLP had refused to make an electoral pact with Sinn Féin in the 2010 Westminster election. In the May 2011 election, O'Loan ran as an SDLP candidate for re-election to the Assembly from North Antrim, but was eliminated in the last round of ballot-counting.
Declan O'Loan is married to Nuala O'Loan, a former Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland. He is also the Honorary Consul of Romania in Northern Ireland. O'Loan studied at Imperial College London and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.
- Secretary of the Association of SDLP Councillors
- Chair of Ballymena District Policing Partnership
- Chair of Ballymena Community Safety Partnership
- Member of the Board of Ballymena Citizens Advice Bureau
- Member of the Board of Ballymena Community Forum
- Member of the Ballymena Local Strategy Partnership
- Member of the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "SDLP suspends O'Loan after merger call". BreakingNews.ie. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "BBC News – Party whip removed from SDLP's Declan O'Loan". BBC News. BBC News. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Declan O'Loan Profile". SDLP. 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2010.