Demographics of Jordan

Jordan has a population of around 11 million inhabitants as of 2021.[1] Jordanians (Arabic: أردنيون) are the citizens of Jordan, who share a common Levantine Semitic ancestry. Some 98% percent of Jordanians are Arabs, while the remaining 2% are other ethnic minorities.[2] Around 2.9 million were non-citizens, a figure including refugees, legal and illegal immigrants.[3] Jordan's annual population growth rate stood at 2.05% in 2017, with an average of three children per woman. There were 1,977,534 households in Jordan in 2015, with an average of 4.8 persons per household.[3]

Demographics of Jordan
Jordan population pyramid in 2020
Population2021 census: 10,945,512 (84th)
2019 estimate: 10,392,309 (86th)
Density116/km2 (300/sq mi) (70th)
Growth rate2.05% (2017 est.)
Birth rate23.9 births/1,000 population (2017 est.)
Death rate3.4 deaths/1,000 population
Life expectancy74.8 years (2017 est.)
  male73.4 years
  female76.3 years
Fertility rate2.7 children born/woman (2018 est.)
Age structure
0–14 years34.68%
15–64 years61.87%
65 and over3.45%
Sex ratio
Total1.02 male(s)/female (2016 est.)
At birth1.06 male(s)/female
Under 151.05 male(s)/female
15–64 years1.00 male(s)/female
65 and over0.89 male(s)/female
Nationality
NationalityJordanians
Major ethnicArab
Minor ethnicArmenians, Chechens, Circassians
Language
OfficialArabic
SpokenArabic, English

The official language is Arabic, while English is the second most widely spoken language by Jordanians. It is also widely used in commerce and government. In 2016, about 84% of Jordan's population live in urban towns and cities.[2] Many Jordanians and people of Jordanian descent live across the world, mainly in the United States, United Arab Emirates, Canada, France, Sweden and Spain.

In 2016, Jordan was named as the largest refugee hosting country per capita in the world, followed by Turkey, Pakistan and Lebanon.[4] The kingdom of Jordan hosts refugees mainly from Palestine, Syria, Iraq and many other countries. There are also hundreds of thousands of workers from Egypt, Indonesia and South Asia, who work as domestic and construction workers.