Diet of Hungary
The Diet of Hungary or originally: Parlamentum Publicum / Parlamentum Generale (Hungarian: Országgyűlés) became the supreme legislative institution in the medieval kingdom of Hungary from the 1290s, and in its successor states, Royal Hungary and the Habsburg kingdom of Hungary throughout the Early Modern period. The name of the legislative body was originally "Parlamentum" during the Middle Ages, the "Diet" expression gained mostly in the Early Modern period. It convened at regular intervals with interruptions during the period of 1527 to 1918, and again until 1946.
The articles of the 1790 diet set out that the diet should meet at least once every 3 years, but, since the diet was called by the Habsburg monarchy, this promise was not kept on several occasions thereafter. As a result of the Austro-Hungarian Compromise, it was reconstituted in 1867.
The Latin term Natio Hungarica ("Hungarian nation") was used to designate the political elite which had participation in the medieval and early modern era Parliaments. The members of the parliament consisted the envoys of the Roman Catholic Clergy, the elected envoys of the nobility from the counties of the Kingdom, and the envoys of cities who were elected by the people of the Royal Free Cities) and the members of the county assemblies of the kingdom, regardless of mother tongue or ethnicity of the person. Natio Hungarica was a geographic, institutional and juridico-political category.