Diocese of Newfoundland

The Anglican Diocese of Newfoundland (since 1949, part of Canada) was, from its creation in 1839 until 1879, the Diocese of Newfoundland and Bermuda, with the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at St. John's, Newfoundland, and a chapel-of-ease named Trinity Church in the City of Hamilton in Pembroke Parish, Bermuda (not to be confused either with the Parish church for Pembroke Parish, St. John's, or with Trinity Church, the parish church of Hamilton Parish). In 1879 the Church of England in the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda (since 1978, an extra-provincial[1] diocese of the archbishop of Canterbury re-titled the Anglican Church of Bermuda) was created, but continued to be grouped with the Diocese of Newfoundland under the bishop of Newfoundland and Bermuda until 1919, when Newfoundland and Bermuda each received its own bishop.[2][3][4]

Trinity Church in 1879, the chapel-of-ease in the City of Hamilton, Bermuda, for the then-Bishop of Newfoundland and Bermuda (the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was at St. John's, Newfoundland).

In 1976 the Diocese of Newfoundland was reorganised and three autonomous dioceses were created, Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador, Central Newfoundland, and Western Newfoundland.

The three dioceses jointly support Queen's College, other ministries and have many common interests.