Donald Rutherford (philosopher)
Donald Paul Rutherford (born 1957) is a Canadian philosopher and a professor of philosophy at the University of California, San Diego. He is known for his research on early modern philosophy. Rutherford is a former president of Leibniz Society of North America (2010-14) and a winner of its Essay Prize (1992). He is an editor of Oxford Studies in Early Modern Philosophy.
Donald Paul Rutherford
|Education||University of California, Berkeley (PhD)|
|School||Early modern philosophy|
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego|
|Thesis||Leibniz on the Reality of Body (1988)|
|Doctoral advisor||Janet Broughton|
|history of ethics|
- Leibniz and the Rational Order of Nature, Cambridge University Press, 1995
- The Leibniz-Des Bosses Correspondence, Latin edition, English translation with Introduction and Notes (with Brandon Look), Yale University Press, 2007
- Leibniz: Nature and Freedom, edited with Introduction (co-editor J.A. Cover), Oxford University Press, 2005
- The Cambridge Companion to Early Modern Philosophy, edited with Introduction, Cambridge University Press, 2006
- Oxford Studies in Early Modern Philosophy, co-editor (with Daniel Garber): vol. 6 (2012), vol. 7 (2015), vol. 8 (2018); editor: vol. 9 (2019)
- "Don Rutherford". helleniccenter.ucsd.edu.
- Brown, Gregory (2006). "Review of Leibniz: Nature and Freedom". Mind. 115 (459): 804–808. doi:10.1093/mind/fzl804. ISSN 0026-4423. JSTOR 3840608.
- Mercer, Christia (1998). "Leibniz and the Rational Order of Nature (review)". Journal of the History of Philosophy. 36 (1): 139–141. doi:10.1353/hph.2008.0948. ISSN 1538-4586.
- Schmitter, Amy M. (2001). "Review of Leibniz and the Rational Order of Nature". Mind. 110 (438): 542–546. doi:10.1093/mind/110.438.542. ISSN 0026-4423. JSTOR 2660203.
- "Rutherford's CV" (PDF).