Dvin (ancient city)

Dvin (Classical Armenian: Դուին, reformed: Դվին; Greek: Δούβιος, Doύbios or Τίβιον, Tίbion;[1] Arabic: دبيل, romanized: Dabīl or Doubil; also Duin or Dwin in ancient sources) was a large commercial city and the capital of early medieval Armenia. It was situated north of the previous ancient capital of Armenia, the city of Artaxata, along the banks of the Metsamor River, 35 km to the south of modern Yerevan. The site of the ancient city is currently not much more than a large hill located between modern Hnaberd (just off the main road through Hnaberd) and Verin Dvin, Armenia. Systematic excavations at Dvin that have proceeded since 1937 have produced an abundance of materials, which have shed light into the Armenian culture of the 5th to the 13th centuries.

Dvin
Drawing of the central square of the ancient Armenian capital city of Dvin. The main cathedral of St. Grigor (3rd–5th century), with a small church of St. Sarkis to the right (6th century), and the residence of the Catholicos on the left (5th century)
Shown within Armenia
LocationSouthwest of the Dvin village; between Hnaberd and Verin Dvin, Ararat Province, Armenia
Coordinates40°0′16.87″N 44°34′45″E
History
BuilderKing Khosrov III
Founded4th century
Abandoned1236