Elias G. Carayannis
Elias G. Carayannis is a Greek-American economist who is presently a full Professor of Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the George Washington University School of Business in Washington, D.C.
Elias G. Carayannis
|Alma mater||National Technical University of Athens|
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
|Known for||Quintuple helix|
|Institutions||George Washington University School of Business|
He is involved in the areas of "strategic government-university-industry R&D partnerships, technology road-mapping, technology transfer and commercialization, international science and technology policy, technological entrepreneurship and regional economic development". As an engineer with training in management, innovation and entrepreneurship studies, his career has spanned roles as scientist, technologist, innovation economist, and entrepreneur. Notably, in 1999 he became Director of Research on Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship of the European Union Research Center (EURC) at the George Washington University School of Business. In 2004, he co-founded and became co-director of the George Washington University School of Business's Global and Entrepreneurial Finance Research Institute (GEFRI). He has published a number of books on entrepreneurialism and science and technology. Carayannis has become most recognized for his work in innovation economics, especially the quadruple helix and quintuple helix frameworks.
Carayannis earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens in 1985. In 1990, he completed a Master of Business Administration from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, followed by a PhD in Management of Technology from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1994.
After obtaining his PhD, Carayannis’s first main academic position was at the Anderson School of Management at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, from January 1995 to July 1996, where he was assistant professor. Subsequently, he went to the George Washington University School of Business in Washington, D.C. in 1999. He obtained the rank of associate professor in 1999 and then Full Professor of Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship in 2004.
Carayannis has consulted for a number of companies, governmental organizations, and NGOs, specifically those in the technology sector. Among the many organizations he has worked with are, in alphabetical order, Cowen & Co, the European Commission, First Albany International, the General Electric Corporate Training & Development Center, the Inter-American Development Bank, IKED, the National Coalition for Advanced Manufacturing (NACFAM), the National Institute of Standards and Technology Advanced Technology Program, the National Science Foundation Small Business Innovation Research Program, Sandia National Laboratories’ New Technological Ventures Initiative, the US Agency for International Development, the USN CNO Office, and the World Bank.
Research and publications
Carayannis' academic and research interests have been in the area of innovation economics, and he has over one hundred publications bearing his name in both academic and practitioner journals. These publications have spanned such topics as the Quadruple helix and Quintuple helix model, regional economic development, and science diplomacy. He is also editor-in-chief of a number of book series and journals. These include the Springer Encyclopedia of Creativity, Invention, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the Palgrave Macmillan book series on Democracy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Growth, the Springer 'Journal of Technology, Innovation and Education', the Springer book series on Arts, Research, Innovation and Society, the Springer 'Journal of the Knowledge Economy', the Springer 'Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship: A Systems View Across Time and Space', the Edward Elgar book series on Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the Springer book series on Innovation, Technology, and Knowledge Management, and the Springer Handbook of Cyber Development, Cyber Democracy and Cyber Defense.
Carayannis regularly organizes and delivers keynote speeches at knowledge-oriented events. These include:
- Smart Growth and the Quadruple / Quintuple Innovation Helix for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, March 4–6, 2018, Washington, DC.
- In Pursuit of Smart Growth, Technology Transfer Society Annual Conference, Washington, DC, 2–4 November 2017.
- Smart Growth and the Quadruple / Quintuple Innovation Helix - World Organization of Systems and Cybernetics (WOSC), Rome, Italy, 17–20 January 2017.
- Heading Global, The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training, Kuwait, 14–16 November 2016.
- "Elias G. Carayannis | School of Business | The George Washington University". business.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- "ORCID Record for Elias G. Carayannis". ORCID.
- Koldbye, Charlotte. "Democracy and the environment are endangered species" (PDF). Riconfigure.
- "Elias G. Carayannis | School of Business | The George Washington University". business.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- Carayannis, Elias G.; Campbell, David F. J. (2011). "Open Innovation Diplomacy and a 21st Century Fractal Research, Education and Innovation (FREIE) Ecosystem: Building on the Quadruple and Quintuple Helix Innovation Concepts and the "Mode 3" Knowledge Production System". Journal of the Knowledge Economy. 2 (3): 327–372. doi:10.1007/s13132-011-0058-3. ISSN 1868-7865.
- Carayannis, Elias G.; Goletsis, Yorgos; Grigoroudis, Evangelos (2018). "Composite innovation metrics: MCDA and the Quadruple Innovation Helix framework". Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 131: 4–17. doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.008.
- Carayannis, Elias G.; Cherepovitsyn, Alexey E.; Ilinova, Alina A. (2017). "Sustainable Development of the Russian Arctic zone energy shelf: the Role of the Quintuple Innovation Helix Model". Journal of the Knowledge Economy. 8 (2): 456–470. doi:10.1007/s13132-017-0478-9. ISSN 1868-7865.
- "Encyclopedia of Creativity, Invention, Innovation and Entrepreneurship". Springer.
- "Democracy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Growth". Palgrave Macmillan.
- "Journal of Technology, Innovation and Education". Springer.
- Arts, Research, Innovation and Society. Springer.
- "Springer Journal of the Knowledge Economy". Springer.
- "Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship: A Systems View Across Time and Space". Springer.
- "Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship". Edward Elgar.
- Technology, Innovation and Knowledge Management. Springer.
- Handbook of Cyber Development, Cyber Democracy and Cyber Defense. Springer. 2018. ISBN 9783319090689.
- Bedford, Denise (2018-02-15). Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship : ICIE 2018 : 5-6 March 2018. Bedford, Denise A. D.,, Carayannis, Elias G.,, University of the District of Columbia,, Georgetown University,, George Washington University. Reading, UK. ISBN 978-1911218708. OCLC 1026187567.
- "Technology Transfer Society (T2S) Annual Conference | Federal Labs". www.federallabs.org. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- Post (2017-08-24). "Smart growth strategies by Elias G. Carayannis". World Organisation of Systems and Cybernetics. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "Heading Global, The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training, Kuwait, 14-16 November, 2016" (PDF).