Elin Jones MS (born 1 September 1966), is a Welsh politician, born in Lampeter, who has represented Ceredigion for Plaid Cymru as a Member of the Senedd since 1999, and has been the Llywydd of the Senedd since 2016.
|Llywydd of the Senedd|
|Assumed office |
11 May 2016
|Preceded by||Rosemary Butler|
|Minister for Rural Affairs|
19 July 2007 – 11 May 2011
|First Minister||Rhodri Morgan |
|Member of the Senedd |
|Assumed office |
6 May 1999
|Preceded by||Office Created|
|Born||1 September 1966|
|Political party||Plaid Cymru|
|Alma mater||Cardiff University, |
She attended Llanwnnen Primary School and Lampeter Comprehensive. She graduated from University of Wales, Cardiff with a BSc in Economics and took a post-graduate MSc in Agricultural Economics at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth in 1989. Previously she was employed as an Economic Development officer for the Development Board for Rural Wales. She is a former Shadow Environment, Planning and Countryside Minister.
Elin Jones speaks Welsh and English. She is also a former director of Radio Ceredigion and of Wes Glei Cyf, a television production company. She lives in Aberaeron and enjoys music, film, reading and formerly sang with the Welsh singing group Cwlwm.
In the first Assembly elections in 1999 Elin Jones was elected as Assembly Member for Ceredigion and served as Shadow Economic Development Minister during the Assembly’s first term. Following the Assembly election in 2003, she retained this portfolio until 2006 when she became Shadow Minister for Environment, Planning & Countryside. On 9 July 2007 the One Wales government was formed and Elin Jones was made Minister for Rural Affairs. Elin Jones continued in this position until Plaid Cymru left Government at the 2011 elections. Her record was criticized by George Monbiot in his 2013 book Feral.
In the fourth Assembly she became Plaid's health spokesperson and unsuccessfully contested the leadership election following the resignation of Ieuan Wyn Jones.
In the fifth Assembly she beat fellow Plaid Cymru AM Dafydd Elis-Thomas to become Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales by 35 votes to his 25.
- Jones, James Barry; Osmond, John (2001). Inclusive Government and Party Management: The National Assembly for Wales and the Work of Its Committees. Institute of Welsh Affairs. p. 183. ISBN 9781871726695. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "Alumni at the Senedd". Aberystwyth University. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Member Profile". National Assembly for Wales. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- Monbiot, George (9 November 2015). "Allowing scallop dredging in 'strictly protected' dolphin reserves is madness | George Monbiot". the Guardian. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Leanne Wood is new Plaid leader". 15 March 2012 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Elin Jones elected as presiding officer". 11 May 2016 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
| Member of the Senedd for Ceredigion
| Llywydd of the Senedd Cymru
| Shadow Economic Development Minister
1999 - 2006
Alun Ffred Jones
| Shadow Minister for Environment, Planning & Countryside
2006 - 2007
| Minister for Rural Affairs
2007 - 2011
|Party political offices|
| Chair of Plaid Cymru