The European Assizes was a one-time assembly of the European Parliament and the national parliaments of the member states of the European Union in Rome in 1990. Under the theme of "The future of the Community; the implications, for the Community and the Member States, of the proposals concerning Economic and Monetary Union and Political Union and, more particularly, the role of the national parliaments and of the European Parliament", it led to two declarations about the desirability of involving national parliaments more in the affairs of the European Union. There were 258 participants: 173 from the national parliaments and 85 from the European Parliament. The standing body which serves as the analogue to this one-time assembly is the Conference of Community and European Affairs Committees of Parliaments of the European Union (COSAC).
- European Parliament Fact Sheets 1.3.5. The European Parliament: relations with the national parliaments
- Klepsch, Egon A. 2007 (1992). "The Democratic Dimension of European Integration". Government and Opposition 27 (4): pp. 407–413.
- European Convention (disambiguation)
- Joint parliamentary meeting on the Future of Europe
- List of national parliaments of the member states of the European Union