Evesham (UK Parliament constituency)

Evesham was a parliamentary constituency in Worcestershire which was represented in the British House of Commons. Originally a parliamentary borough consisting of the town of Evesham, it was first represented in 1295. After this its franchise lapsed for several centuries, but it then returned two Members of Parliament (MPs) from 1604 until 1868, when its representation was reduced to one member under the Representation of the People Act 1867.

Evesham
Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
1295, 1604–1885
Number of memberstwo until 1868, then one
Worcestershire, Evesham
Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
18851950
Number of membersone
Replaced byWorcester and South Worcestershire

From the 1885 general election, Evesham was abolished as a borough but the name was transferred to a larger county constituency electing one MP. This constituency was abolished for the 1950 general election, with the town of Evesham itself being transferred to the new seat of South Worcestershire. Between 1885 and 1918 the constituency had the full name of the Southern, or Evesham, Division of Worcestershire (not to be confused with the 1950 seat).


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Evesham (UK Parliament constituency), and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.