Fatimah bint Asad
Fatimah bint Asad
Fāṭimah bint ʾAsad
فاطمة بنت أسد
(c. 555 CE)
|Died||(c. 626 CE)|
|Known for||Mother of Ali ibn Abu Talib, Aunt of Muhammad|
|Spouse(s)||Abu Talib ibn Abd al-Muttalib|
|Parent(s)||Asad ibn Hashim|
Fatimah bint Qays
|Part of a series on|
|Lu'ayy ibn Ghalib|
|Ka'b ibn Lu'ayy||Ma'is ibn Lu'ayy|
|Murrah ibn Ka'b||'Abd ibn Ma'is|
|Kilab ibn Murrah||Hajar ibn 'Abd|
|Qusai ibn Kilab||Rawaha ibn Hajar|
|Abd Manaf ibn Qusai|
|Hashim ibn Abd Manaf||Salma bint Amr|
|Qays or Haram ibn Rawaha|
|Asad ibn Hashim||Fatima bint Qays|
|Fatimah bint Asad|
- Fakhitah (Umm Hani).
- Ali, who was the husband of Muhammad's daughter Fatimah.
The orphaned Muhammad, who was Abu Talib's nephew and Fatimah's cousin, came to live in their house in 579 (when he was eight years old).:131,133
- Abu Talib
- Zubayr ibn Abd Muttalib
- Abd-Allah ibn Abd-al-Muttalib
- Barrah bint Abdul Muttalib
- Arwā bint Abd Muttalib
- ‘Ātikah bint Abd Muttalib
- Umm Ḥakīm (al-Baiḍā) bint Abd Muttalib
- Umayma bint Abd Muttalib
Fatimah became a Muslim and is described as a "righteous woman". Following Abu Talib's death in 620,:243 Fatimah emigrated to Medina with her son Ali in 622.:686 Muhammad used to visit her and take siestas in her house there.
She died in the year 625/626.:811 According to Anas bin Malik, when Muhammad learned that Fatimah had died, he went to her house to sit beside her body and pray for her, gave his shirt to be incorporated into her shroud, and personally placed her in her grave in the Jannatul Baqee cemetery in Medina.:475
- ibn Sa'd, Muhammad (1995). Kitab at-Tabaqat al-Kabir (The Book of the Major Classes). VIII The Women of Madina. Translated by Bewley, Aisha. London: Ta-Ha Publishers. ISBN 978-1-897940-24-2.
- Najeebabadi, Akbar Shah; Mubārakfūrī, Ṣafī al-Raḥmān; Abdullah, Abdul Rahman; Salafi, Muhammad Tahir (2001). The History of Islam, Volume I. p. 427.
- ibn Ishaq, Muhammad (1955). Sīrat Rasūl Allāh (The Life of Muhammad). Translated by Guillaume, Alfred. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8369-9260-1.
- Muhammad ibn Saad. Kitab al-Tabaqat al-Kabir vol. 1. Translated by Haq, S. M. (1967). Ibn Sa'd's Kitab al-Tabaqat al-Kabir Volume I Parts I & II. Delhi: Kitab Bhavan.
- Al-Majlisi, M. B. Hayat al-Qulub. Translated by Rizvi, S. H. (2010). Volume 2: A Detailed Biography of Prophet Muhammad (saww). Qum: Ansariyan Publications.