Fulmer is a village and civil parish in South Buckinghamshire district in Buckinghamshire, England. The village has along most of its northern border a narrow green buffer from Gerrards Cross and is heavily wooded adjoining neighbouring villages of Iver Heath and Wexham. The village's name is derived from the Old English for "lake frequented by birds". It was recorded in manorial rolls in 1198 as Fugelmere.
Allhusen Gardens, Fulmer
Fulmer Hall with surrounding woods forming most of the north of the parish, taken from the M40. In the grounds are the purpose-built pharmaceutical research laboratories.
|Area||5.58 km2 (2.15 sq mi)|
|Population||485 (2011 census)|
|• Density||87/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
In the late 17th century the owners of the manor of Fulmer were forced to sell their house to their servants because they had squandered their money and could not afford to pay them. The manor then passed into the hands of the Duke of Portland.
In the mid-19th century, watercress was grown at Moor Farm, known locally as "The Bog", (now Low Farm) by Richard Whiting Bradbery, the son of William Bradbery, the first British watercress pioneer who had a large cress farm at West Hyde, Hertfordshire. Richard is buried in St James churchyard, Fulmer, with his wife Hannah.
Fulmer Chase on Stoke Common Road is a former home of the Wills tobacco family and was used as a military hospital during World War II.
In July 2011 Fulmer Village was awarded first prize in the Gurney Cup for Buckinghamshire's best kept village (population under 500). It was also awarded the Sword of Swords for achieving the highest score of all villages that entered no matter of size or population.