|• Total||1,014 km2 (392 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||0.73/km2 (1.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-3 (AST)|
The town of Alusiaka used to be located near the banks of the Marowijne River. The Dutch West India Company was given 500 hectares to grow coconuts; but, because of their mistreatment of the workers, the town was abandoned. In 1871 a 60-metre lighthouse was built near the entrance of the Marowijne; it was operated until 2012.