George Dean Pitt
Major-General George Dean-Pitt, KH (1781 or 1772 – 8 January 1851) was Lieutenant-Governor of the former New Zealand Province of New Ulster from 14 February 1848 to his death on 8 January 1851. He was born George Dean, the illegitimate son of George Pitt, 2nd Baron Rivers.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016)
In 1819 he adopted the surname Dean-Pitt by Royal Licence.
Dean-Pitt arrived with his family on the barque Minerva at Auckland on 8 October 1847. He was the second most important military man in the new colony during the governorship of George Grey. His son and two of his sons-in-law were part of the military establishment as well. His residence was located in Pitt Street, which had originally been called Pyt Street after a childhood home of the first governor William Hobson, it is likely the spelling changed because of Dean Pitt's presence.
Ill for some time, he died on 8 January 1851 while Lieutenant-Governor and was buried with full military honours in the Symonds Street Cemetery in Auckland. A number of retail businesses in Auckland closed for the day of his funeral.
- Emelia Marie Dean-Pitt (20 June 1820 – 5 April 1877) m. 23 May 1848 at St. Paul's Church, Auckland, Captain J.H.Laye
- Lieutenant-General George Dean-Pitt (C.B.) (14 January 1823 – 4 April 1883) m. 22 November 1842 Louisa Jones (18 February 1816 – 8 July 1889).
- Georgiana Dean-Pitt (1822 – 23 May 1877)
- Louisa Dean-Pitt (1823 – 7 April 1873) m. 18 November 1848 Lieutenant George Hyde Page, at St. Paul's Church, Auckland
- Susan Dean-Pitt (born Malta 1828)
- Douglas Charles Dean-Pitt (born 1829 Ireland) m: 10 Dec 1878 Alice Antoinette Birdwood at Mahableshwar, Bombay, India.
- Charlotte Marcia Dean-Pitt (6 March 1830 – 7 April 1873) m. 18 November 1848 Captain Charles Lavallin Nugent, at St. Paul's Church, Auckland
- William Augustus Dean-Pitt (1833 – 8 November 1890) m. 11 Jun 1863 Anne Isabella Lloyd Gellibrand at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. He was buried in Symonds Street Cemetery next to his father..
- Clara Eliza Dean-Pitt (5 September 1838 at Bristol – 1916 Kensington England, unmarried.)
- Susan Dean-Pitt (born 14 July 1847)
- Knight, Hanoverian Order. (see: Lundy, Darryl. "A list of some Honours recipients". The Peerage.[unreliable source])
- List of Leaders of former New Zealand Provinces
- "Arrivals on the Minerva 1847". Archived from the original on 27 October 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2007.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Cemetery Records – Symonds Street and St Stephens". Auckland Council. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Brief Biography at thepeerage.com George Snr". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- The British Army Garrison in Malta. 1828 – 1865
- "Major General George Dean Pitt". Karangahape Road Business Association. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Marriages mentioned in The New Zealander 1843–1890
- Lundy, Darryl. "Brief Biography at thepeerage.com George Jnr". The Peerage.[unreliable source]