Glasgow Victoria Infirmary
|Glasgow Victoria Infirmary|
|NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde|
Old Victoria Infirmary Buildings
|Location||Langside Road, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Affiliated university||University of Glasgow|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in Scotland|
A competition was held to design a 120-bedded hospital and this attracted 46 entries from architects around the UK. Campbell Douglas & Sellars won the competition to design the new voluntary hospital for the city's South Side in 1882. Building work began in 1888 and the infirmary was officially opened on 14 February 1890. The original buildings consisted of a central administration block, a lodge and one pavilion. A nurses' home was added in the 1890s and additional pavilions were added in 1902 and 1906.
A new wing added an additional 120 beds to the hospital in 1927, another block provided a further 30 beds in 1931 and a further extension provided a further 50 beds in 1935. By 1939 the hospital had 555 beds.
After all inpatient and accident and emergency services had been transferred to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, the Glasgow Victoria Infirmary closed in May 2015. Housing provider Sanctuary Group then took over the 9.5 acre site in August 2016.
New Victoria Hospital
The New Victoria Hospital opened as an ambulatory care facility on a site opposite the old hospital in June 2009, and it is where all outpatient services that were previously housed at the old Victoria are now located.
- "Victoria Infirmary". Historic Hospitals. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- Stewart, Catriona (16 August 2016). "Victoria Infirmary: Final look inside the haunting halls of Glasgow's most imposing building". Evening Times. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Healing the sick. New wing for Victoria Infirmary. Cost of upkeep". The Glasgow Herald. 17 February 1927. p. 3. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Victoria Infirmary. Two important extensions". The Glasgow Herald. 25 May 1935. p. 12. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- ""Ever-growing service." Demands on Victoria Infirmary. Glasgow institution's expenditure". The Glasgow Herald. 13 February 1939. p. 12. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Opening of theatre block at Victoria Infirmary. Efficiency increased by modernisation". The Glasgow Herald. 17 October 1961. p. 11. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "End of an Era for 125 Year Old Hospital". Evening Times. 16 May 2015. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "First patients impressed by the £100m New Victoria hospital". The Herald. Glasgow. 9 June 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2016.