Health and Social Care Directorates
The Health and Social Care Directorates are a group of directorates of the Scottish Government. They are responsible for NHS Scotland, as well as policies on the development and implementation of health and social care.
The Chief Executive of NHS Scotland and Director-General of the Scottish Government's Health and Social Care Directorates is Caroline Lamb.
There is a direct relationship between Ministers and the Directorates, but this relationship is not consistent across the Government as there is often no direct read across to Ministerial portfolios from DGs. The activities of these Directorates are under the purview of the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care. He is assisted in this work by the Minister for Mental Health, Wellbeing and Social Care and the Minister for Public Health, Women's Health and Sport.
- Chief Medical Officer - Chief Medical Officer: Dr Gregor Smith
- Chief Nursing Officer - Chief Nursing Officer: Professor Amanda Croft
- COVID Public Health Directorate - Director: Richard Foggo
- Digital Health and Care Directorate - Interim Director: Jonathan Cameron
- Health Finance, Corporate Governance and Value Directorate - Director: Richard McCallum
- Health Performance and Delivery Directorate - Chief Performance Officer, NHS Scotland and Director of Delivery and Resilience: John Connaghan
- Health Workforce Directorate - Co-Directors: Gillian Russell and Sean Neill
- Healthcare Quality and Improvement Directorate - Interim Director: Linda Pollock and National Clinical Director: Professor Jason Leitch
- Mental Health and Social Care Directorate - Director: Donna Bell
- Population Health Directorate - Interim Director: Michael Kellet
- Primary Care Directorate - Director: Aidan Grisewood
- Test and Protect - Director: Christine McLaughlin
- Vaccine Strategy and Policy - Director: Stephen Gallagher
As well as responsibility for the regional health boards of NHS Scotland, the Directorates also have responsibility for:
- Public Health Scotland
- Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
- Scottish Ambulance Service
- State Hospital
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- NHS National Services Scotland
- Chief Dental Officer – Tom Ferris
- Chief Health Professions Officer – Carolyn McDonald
- Chief Medical Officer – Dr Gregor Smith
- Chief Nursing Officer – Professor Amanda Croft
- Chief Pharmaceutical Officer (interim) Professor Alison Strath
- Chief Scientist (Health) – Professor David Crossman
The Scottish Executive Health Department (SEHD) was created in 1999 from the former Scottish Office Health Department (SOHD) (previously part of the Scottish Office Home and Health Department). The separate departments in the Scottish Government were abolished in 2007 and replaced with Directorates. In December 2010, the functions of the Health Directorates were taken on by the Health and Social Care Directorates.
- "Directorates". Scottish Government. 7 April 2020. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Health and Social care: About us: How we are structured". Scottish Government. 7 April 2020. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Scottish Government (structure diagram from 2007)" (PDF). Scottish Government. April 2008. Retrieved 15 July 2016.