Helmholtz Association

The Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres (German: Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren) is the largest scientific organisation in Germany. It is a union of 18 scientific-technical and biological-medical research centers. The official mission of the Association is "solving the grand challenges of science, society and industry". Scientists at Helmholtz therefore focus research on complex systems which affect human life and the environment. The namesake of the association is the German physiologist and physicist Hermann von Helmholtz.[2]

Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren
PredecessorArbeitsgemeinschaft der Großforschungseinrichtungen (AGF)
Established1995; 27 years ago (1995)
TypeRegistered association
HeadquartersBonn and Berlin
President
Otmar Wiestler
Budget (2020)
5 billion[1]
Employees
42,000 (2020)[1]
Websitewww.helmholtz.de/en/

The annual budget of the Helmholtz Association amounts to €4.56 billion, of which about 72% is raised from public funds. The remaining 28% of the budget is acquired by the 19 individual Helmholtz Centres in the form of contract funding. The public funds are provided by the federal government (90%) and the rest by the States of Germany (10%).[2][1]

The Helmholtz Association was ranked #6 in 2020 by the Nature Index, which measures the largest contributors to papers published in 82 leading journals.[3][4][5]


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Helmholtz Association, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.