Holy Cross Church, Münster
The church was under construction from 1899 to 1902 after the plans of Bernhard and Hilger Hertel. First as a quasi-parish of the Liebfrauen-Überwasser community it was established as a parish in 1905. The spire was completed in 1908. Until the reconstruction of the Münster Cathedral after World War II the Holy Cross Church served as temporary cathedral. After his return from Rome the newly appointed cardinal Clemens August Graf von Galen celebrated on 17 March 1946 his first and only Pontifical High Mass. Just five days later the Pontifical High Mass was held for the suddenly deceased cardinal.