Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (Manhattan)
|Holy Trinity Episcopal Church|
|Architectural style||Romanesque Revival architecture|
|Location||Manhattan, New York City|
|Design and construction|
The parish was originally located on the northeast corner of Madison Avenue and East 42nd Street in a Victorian cottage ornéé (ornamental cottage) designed by Jacob Wrey Mould. This building was replaced on the site in 1873 by one designed by Leopold Eidlitz in a High Victorian hybrid of the German Romanesque design. This was generally referred to as Dr. Tyng's Church after the "hardworking churchman, the younger Stephen H. Tyng, who organized it in 1874." The church building at that location was rather short-lived: in 1895, the parish merged with St. James', and the building was sold and demolished.
The St. James parish had been given property by Serena Rhinelander on East 88th Street, on what was once the Rhinelander Farm. A mission church was built on this land from 1895 to 1899, designed by Barney and Chapman. It was consecrated on May 6, 1899. Although the mission was administered by St. James, it was called Holy Trinity. It became its own parish in 1951. The church complex includes St. Christopher House and a parsonage.
- Dunlap, David W. (2004). From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-12543-7., p.103
- Nathan Silver, Lost New York, (New York: Weathervane Books, 1967), p.149
- Church of the Holy Trinity (Episcopal), American Guild of Organists New York City Chapter. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- The Story of The Church of The Holy Trinity — 1899–2004 Holy Trinity Church (2004)