Huntingdonshire (UK Parliament constituency)

Huntingdonshire was a Parliamentary constituency covering the county of Huntingdonshire in England. It was represented in the House of Commons of England until 1707, then in the House of Commons of Great Britain from 1707 to 1800, and then in the House of Commons the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1801 to 1885. It returned two Knights of the Shire (apart from 1654 to 1659, when it returned three); when elections were contested, the bloc vote system was used.

Huntingdonshire
Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
19181983
Number of membersOne
Replaced byHuntingdon
SW Cambridgeshire
Peterborough[1]
Created fromHuntingdon
Ramsey
1290–1885
Number of members2 (1290 – 1654)
3 (1654 – 1659)
2 (1659 – 1885)
Type of constituencyCounty constituency
Replaced byHuntingdon
Ramsey

Under the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885, it was divided between the new single-seat county divisions of Huntingdon and Ramsey with effect from the 1885 general election.

Under the Representation of the People Act 1918, Huntingdon and Ramsey were re-united and the constituency was reconstituted, returning a single Member of Parliament (MP). Subject to boundary changes for the 1983 general election, the constituency was succeeded by the re-established constituency of Huntingdon. Its MP at the time, John Major, continued to represent it.