Identity and Democracy
Identity and Democracy (French: Identité et démocratie, ID) is a right-wing to far-right political group of the European Parliament, launched on 13 June 2019 for the Ninth European Parliament term. It is composed of nationalist, right-wing populist and eurosceptic national parties from ten European nations. It is the successor to the Europe of Nations and Freedom group formed during the eighth term.
|Identity and Democracy|
|European Parliament group|
|Name||Identity and Democracy|
|Formal name||Identity and Democracy Group|
|Political position||Right-wing to far-right|
|European parties||Identity and Democracy Party|
|From||13 June 2019|
|Preceded by||Europe of Nations and Freedom|
|Chaired by||Marco Zanni|
71 / 705
In April 2019, the Danish People's Party and the Finns Party (at the time members of the European Conservatives and Reformists) announced their intention to form a new grouping with Alternative for Germany, formerly of the ECR, ENF and EFDD groups, and Italy's League following the 2019 elections. AfD spokesman Jörg Meuthen appeared alongside Northern League leader Matteo Salvini to formally announce the formation of the new European political alliance with the Finns Party and Danish People's Party which was provisionally named European Alliance for People and Nations.
On 12 June 2019, it was announced that the group would be named "Identity and Democracy" (ID), and include Italy's Lega per Salvini Premier (LSP), the French National Rally (RN) and Alternative for Germany as member parties, and would be a successor to the Europe of Nations and Freedom (ENF). The Finns Party is also a member of the group. LN MEP Marco Zanni was announced as the new group's chairman. The group, composed at that time of 73 MEPs, was launched in Brussels by RN leader Marine Le Pen on 13 June 2019. It was expanded to include former ENF members Vlaams Belang and the Freedom Party of Austria, as well the new Freedom and Direct Democracy (SPD) party from the Czech Republic and the Conservative People's Party of Estonia.
The Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV) failed to secure any seats at the election; however, it gained one in the post-Brexit apportionment of seats. Party leader Geert Wilders has stated his intention, once Brexit happens, to align the PVV with ID, provided that the post-Brexit apportionment is confirmed by the European Council.
The group lists its core priorities as protecting European cultural heritage and the sovereignty of European nations, creating jobs and growth, increasing security, stopping illegal immigration, regulating legal immigration, fighting EU bureaucracy and preventing what it describes as the potential Islamisation of Europe. Identity and Democracy also opposes the possible accession of Turkey to the European Union. The group calls for a Europe based on cooperation and further reforms of the EU through "more transparency and accountability" at Brussels, but rejects any further evolution towards a European Superstate. Political commentators have variously described Identity and Democracy as nationalist, right-wing populist and eurosceptic, although the group emphasises itself as sovereigntist as opposed to "anti-European".
9th European Parliament
|Country||National party||European party||MEPs|
|Austria||Freedom Party of Austria
Freiheitliche Partei Österreichs (FPÖ)
3 / 19
Vlaams Belang (VB)
3 / 21
|Czech Republic||Freedom and Direct Democracy
Svoboda a přímá demokracie (SPD)
2 / 21
|Denmark||Danish People's Party
Dansk Folkeparti (DF)
1 / 14
|Estonia||Conservative People's Party of Estonia
Eesti Konservatiivne Rahvaerakond (EKRE)
1 / 7
2 / 14
Rassemblement national (RN)
23 / 79
|Germany||Alternative for Germany
Alternative für Deutschland (AfD)
10 / 96
25 / 76
|Netherlands||Party for Freedom
Partij voor de Vrijheid (PVV)
1 / 29
71 / 705
- Chairman: Marco Zanni
- "Nationalism in the EU has a new name: 'Identity and Democracy'". Euronews. 13 June 2019.
- "Identity and Democracy Group: United on the Outside, Divided on the Inside? – Le portail de référence pour l'espace de liberté, sécurité et justice". 28 June 2019.
- "Far-right Generation Identity leaders jailed for Alpine stunt". Al Jazeera. 30 August 2019.
The far-right grouping in the newly elected European Parliament has taken the name Identity and Democracy, in a sign of the growing influence of "identitarian" supremacist politics.
- "Greta Thunberg rains on EU climate law parade". Politico. 3 May 2020.
- "The European Parliament after Brexit" (PDF). Clifford Chance. 1 January 2020. p. 1.
- "Germany's Altmaier encourages MEPs to be more realistic". Euractiv. 16 July 2020.
- Rankin, Jennifer (13 June 2019). "MEPs create biggest far-right group in European parliament". The Guardian.
- "Far-right parties form new group in European Parliament". Deutsche Welle. 14 June 2019.
- "New European far-right coalition named Identity and Democracy". Euronews. 13 June 2019.
- Stearns, Jonathan (13 June 2019). "Far-Right Faction in EU Parliament Is Recreated as Bigger Force". Bloomberg.
- "Far-right group in EU parliament doubles in strength". France 24. 13 June 2019.
- "Parliament groups vow to stop far-right MEPs chairing committees". Politico. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Cook, Lorne (13 June 2019). "Europe's populists rebrand but policies remain the same". Associated Press.
- "France's Le Pen unveils new far-right European Parliament group". Reuters. 13 June 2019.
- "EU's nationalist parties announce plans to join forces after May vote". Saudi Gazette. 8 April 2019.
- "Germany's AfD joins Italy's League in new populist coalition". Deutsche Welle. 8 April 2019.
- Weise, Zia (12 June 2019). "Salvini alliance to be named Identity and Democracy". Politico.
- Nikolaj Nielsen (13 June 2019). "New 'ID' far-right EU parliament group falls short". EUobserver. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Alfie Tobutt (13 June 2019). "Marine Le Pen to unveil new far-right alliance in European Parliament". Euronews. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Morgan, Sam (31 May 2019). "Post-Brexit Parliament: Winners and losers". Euractiv.
- "Europe's far-right politicians join forces to fight for more power". The Independent. 18 May 2019.
- "Parliament group priorities: Identity and Democracy". Europarl (Press release). 19 August 2019.
- "Extrema direita une forças para eleições europeias". Terra. 25 April 2019.