Independence Hall is a historic civic building in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in which both the United States Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted by America's Founding Fathers. The structure forms the centerpiece of the Independence National Historical Park and has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
|Location||520 Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Architect||William Strickland (steeple)|
|Visitors||645,564 (in 2005)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Designated||1979 (3rd session)|
|State Party||United States|
|Region||Europe and North America|
|Designated||October 15, 1966|
|Part of||Independence National Historical Park|
The building was completed in 1753 as the Pennsylvania State House and served as the capitol for the Province and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania until the state capital moved to Lancaster in 1799. It was the principal meeting place of the Second Continental Congress from 1775 to 1783 and was the site of the Constitutional Convention in the summer of 1787.
A convention held in Independence Hall in 1915, presided over by former US president William Howard Taft, marked the formal announcement of the formation of the League to Enforce Peace, which led to the League of Nations in 1920 and the United Nations, a quarter century later.