Index.hr is a Croatian online newspaper, launched in December 2002 and based in Zagreb. The news site covers politics, business, sports, show business, and features columns covering everything from gossip to political commentary. As of 2018[update], it is the leading Croatian news website. According to Alexa Internet, Index.hr is one of the top sites in Croatia and in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Type of site
|Created by||Matija Babić|
|Registration||Required for some services|
|Launched||10 December 2002|
Index.hr was founded by Matija Babić and was originally designed as a news aggregation website, providing news content from Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. The website quickly grew in popularity, and over time more original content produced by the growing staff was being added to the site, until it became a popular media outlet in its own right. Index.hr gained public recognition by exposing a series of scandals, the two most notable being the 2003 controversy stirred by a discovered recording of popular singer Marko Perković in which Perković allegedly performed a song praising the World War II fascist Ustaše regime,[non-primary source needed] and the 2004 celebrity sex tape scandal involving Severina Vučković, a pop singer.
Index.hr managed to keep its place among the top-visited websites in Croatia throughout the period, and has since launched a number of additional services, such as Bloger.hr (a blogging website) and Igra.hr (a website for online flash gaming).
- Skender, Melisa (12 April 2005). "Matija Babić - tvorac prvog hrvatskog dnevnog tabloida" [Matija Babić - Creator of the first Croatian daily tabloid]. Nacional (in Croatian). No. 491. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "15 GODINA Povijest Indexa". Index.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Peruško, Zrinjka (2018). "Croatia - Reuters Institute Digital News Report". digitalnewsreport.org. Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "Top Sites in Croatia". Alexa Internet.
- "Top Sites in Bosnia and Herzegovina". Alexa Internet.
- "Reakcije medija na slučaj Thompson" (in Croatian). Index.hr. 31 December 2003. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- Boršić, Zrinka (13 November 2004). "Neshvaćena duhovitost i prikrivene suze". Vjesnik (in Croatian). Archived from the original on 27 November 2004. Retrieved 11 March 2010.