International Military Staff
The International Military Staff (IMS) is an advisory body of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation's (NATO) Military Committee (MC), which in turn supports the North Atlantic Council (NAC). Based in NATO's headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, the IMS has five divisions and c. 500 staff seconded from NATO member states and is led by a Director General.
|International Military Staff|
|Role||Provides strategic advice to the NATO Military Committee.|
|Part of||NATO Military Committee|
|Secretary General||Jens Stoltenberg|
|Director General||Lieutenant General Hans-Werner Wiermann|
The IMS consists of the following divisions:
- Intelligence (INT)
- Operations and Plans (O&P)
- Policy and Capabilities (P&C)
- Cooperative Security (CS)
- Logistics and Resources (L&R)
The commands under SACEUR - Allied Joint Force Command Brunssum, Allied Joint Force Command Naples and Joint Force Command Norfolk are Operational Level Commands, while Headquarters Allied Air Command, Headquarters Allied Maritime Command and Headquarters Allied Land Command are Tactical Level Commands. SACEUR also has operational command of the Joint Support and Enabling Command.
- Liaison: Provides advice and support to the NAC
|Political strategic level:|
|Military strategic level:|
CMC (NATO MC)
(ACT, HQ SACT)
|JFCBS Brunssum, NL||JWC Stavanger, NO|
|AIRCOM Ramstein, DE||JALLC Lisbon, PT|
|MARCOM Northwood, GB||JFTC Bydgoszcz, PL|
|LANDCOM İzmir, TR|
|CIS GP Mons, BE|
|JFCNP Naples, IT|
|JFC-NF Norfolk, Virginia, US|
- Structure of NATO
- European Union Military Staff
- "Command Structure" (PDF). NATO. Retrieved 19 October 2019. and "Military Command Structure". shape.nato.int. Supreme Head Allied Powers Europe. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "MILITARY COMMAND STRUCTURE". shape.nato.int. NATO. 7 October 2020. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- Boeke, Sergei (13 January 2020). "Creating a secure and functional rear area : NATO's new JSEC Headquarters". nato.int. NATO. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
JSEC is part of the NATO Force Structure and under the operational command of the Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR).