Inverclyde (UK Parliament constituency)
Inverclyde is a parliamentary constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It replaced Greenock and Inverclyde and the Port Glasgow and Kilmacolm areas from West Renfrewshire for the 2005 general election.
for the House of Commons
|Subdivisions of Scotland||Inverclyde|
|Major settlements||Gourock, Greenock, Inverkip, Port Glasgow, Wemyss Bay|
|Member of Parliament||Ronnie Cowan (SNP)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Greenock and Inverclyde and Renfrewshire West|
Iain McKenzie of the Labour Party won the ensuing Inverclyde by-election following the death of the previous Labour MP, David Cairns. At the 2015 general election, the seat was gained by Ronnie Cowan of the Scottish National Party, with a majority of 11,063 votes. At the 2017 snap election, Cowan was re-elected, but with a greatly reduced majority of just 384 votes. However, at the 2019 general election he was re-elected with a significantly increased majority of 7,512 votes, making this a safe seat for the SNP.
Members of Parliament
|2011 by-election||Iain McKenzie||Labour|
|2015||Ronnie Cowan||Scottish National Party|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Jacci Stoyle||2,560||6.4||+3.9|
|Liberal Democrats||David Stevens||978||2.5||0.0|
|Liberal Democrats||John Watson||1,106||2.5||-10.8|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+31.7|
1 Change to majority not useful when seat changes hands.
|Liberal Democrats||Sophie Bridger||627||2.2||–11.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Hutton||5,007||13.3||-3.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Douglas Herbison||6,123||17.0||-4.2|
|Scottish Socialist||Davy Landels||906||2.5||-1.3|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "I"
- "Inverclyde parliamentary constituency - Election 2019 - BBC News" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Scottish Labour chief named in new wave of parliamentary candidates - LabourList". labourlist.org. 28 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Labour chooses candidate for Inverclyde by-election". BBC News. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "SNP selects by-election candidate". The Independent. London. 3 June 2011.
- "Inverclyde Westminster by-election date set", BBC News, 8 June 2011
- "Inverclyde can make political history". UKIP. 5 June 2011.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.