Ipsos Group S.A. (French pronunciation: [ip.sos]) is a multinational market research and consulting firm with headquarters in Paris, France. The company was founded in 1975 by Didier Truchot, Chairman and CEO, and has been publicly traded on the Paris Stock Exchange since July 1, 1999.
CAC Mid 60 Component
|Industry||Market research |
Public opinion research
(Chairman and CEO)
|Revenue||€1.750 billion (2018)|
|€172 million (2018)|
|€108 million (2018)|
|Total assets||€2.375 billion (2018)|
Since 1990, the Group has created or acquired numerous companies. In October 2011, Ipsos acquired Synovate, resulting in a Ipsos organization that ranks as the world’s third largest research agency. As of 2014, Ipsos has offices in 88 countries, employing 16,530 people.
First years in France
Truchot centered in offering services to the advertising and media companies and developed methods to measure the success of their campaigns, something new in France. The first of these methods was the Baromètre d'Affichage (BAF) in 1977, an instrument to analyse the effectiveness of billboard advertisements. It was followed by an instrument specific for media and, in 1979, the France des Cadres Actifs (FCA), which was used to determine reading habits of French executives.
Despite the success, the company's profitability remained at modest levels until the arrival of Jean-Marc Lech as co-chairman. From then on, it started to perform public opinion researches, another innovative activity in the French market. By the end of the '80s, it was the fifth largest media research company in France. The great activity of French policymakers at the time helped to strengthen the position of the company, especially the public opinion research sector.
In 1992, the company was opened to private investment to improve its purchasing capital. The first new shareholder was Baring Private Equity. Truchot and Lech, the major shareholders, retained two-thirds of the company.
In the mid-'90s Ipsos was one of the most important research companies in Europe and decided to expand globally. Ipsos took on new investment partners, selling 40 percent of the company to Artemis Group, led by François Pinault, and the Amstar investment fund led by Walter Butler.
In 1999, Ipsos was listed on the Paris stock exchange. The successful offering enabled Artemis and Amstar to cash out on their investments and also gave Ipsos the possibility to continue its expansion. Then, it participated of the creation of an Internet audience research joint-venture, MMXI Europe, with the majority of shares held by partner Media Matrix and 20 percent by Ipsos. The company also took control of four subsidiaries of NFO Worldwide specializing in the formation of access panels. The expansion continued in Asia, South America and especially in North America (with the purchase of the Canadian company Angus Reid, renamed Ipsos-Reid in 2000).
In 2011, Ipsos acquired Aegis Group Plc's Synovate division.
Ipsos revenues totaled €1,785.3 million in 2015, with an organic growth rate of -1%. In 2014, Ipsos derived 44% of its revenue from the EMEA region (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), 39% from the Americas region, and 17% from the Asia-Pacific region.
Top 10 of the Market Research Sector 2019
|Rank||Company||Revenues in 2018|
Source: ESOMAR Global Market Research Report 2019
- Ipsos MORI
- Ipsos Reid
- Ipsos Business Consulting
- Ipsos Alfacom
- Ipsos Apoyo
- Ipsos Archway
- Ipsos ASI
- Ipsos Bimsa
- Ipsos Connect
- Ipsos Healthcare
- Ipsos Insight
- Ipsos Interactive Services
- Ipsos Loyalty
- Ipsos Marketing
- Ipsos Markinor (Ipsos South Africa)
- Ipsos MRBI
- Ipsos Novaction
- Ipsos Observer
- Ipsos Public Affairs
- Ipsos RDA
- Ipsos UU
- Ipsos Vantis
- "Company Description: Ipsos SA". businessweek.com. BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 23 October 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Ipsos, , retrieved 13 March 2019
- "Sondage Ipsos Radio France : l'incroyable immobilité". franceculture.fr. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- Honomichl Global Top 25 "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-12-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- International Directory of Company Histories. 48. St. James Press. September 2002. ISBN 155862466X.
- "Ipsos SA Announces Completion of Acquisition of Aegis Group Plc's Synovate". reuters.com. Reuters. 12 October 2011. Archived from the original on 21 June 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Synthesio, now an Ipsos company!". Synthesio. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- Ipsos Annual Results Presentation 2011 "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-05-12. Retrieved 2012-04-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Palacio, Xabier (September 10, 2019). "ESOMAR's latest Global Market Research report values global research and data industry market at US $80 billion | Research World".
- "Ipsos is global". Ipsos Markinor. Archived from the original on 2014-05-04. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Group, RDA. "Home". www.rdagroup.com. Archived from the original on 21 March 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.