Istiglal anti-materiel rifle
The Istiglal IST-14.5 anti-materiel rifle (also known as the Istiglal) is a recoil-operated, semi-automatic anti-materiel sniper rifle produced by Telemexanika zavodu, subsidiary of the Ministry of Defence Industry of Azerbaijan. The meaning of the word Istiglal is Independence in Azerbaijani.
|Place of origin||Azerbaijan|
|Used by||See Users|
|Designer||RPE Automatic Lines|
|Manufacturer||Telemexanika zavodu, parent organization Ministry of Defence Industry of Azerbaijan|
|Mass||33.8 kg (74 lbs) |
28 kg (61.6 lbs) (new version)
|Length||2256 mm (89")|
|Barrel length||1300 mm (51")|
|Action||Recoil-operated, rotating bolt|
|Muzzle velocity||1,132 m/s (3,714 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||(14.5×114mm) |
3,000 m (9,843 ft) - 4,000 m (13,123 ft) +
|Feed system||5-round detachable box magazine|
The Istiglal anti-materiel rifle uses the powerful 14.5×114mm round.
A 12.7×108mm version of the Istiglal 14.5mm anti-materiel sniper rifle introduced by the Ministry of Defense Industry of Azerbaijan. The 12.7mm Mubariz sniper rifle is much lighter in comparison to the Istiglal at 15 kg (33 pounds) with a five-round magazine.
The Istiglal can be taken down into 2 separate components for easy transportation. The rifle is said to be operable in adverse weather such as rain and dirt with temperature ranges from 50 to -50 degrees Celsius.
- Azerbaijan: In use by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
- Pakistan: Used by the Pakistan Army; more planned to be procured.
- Turkey: The Turkish Armed Forces is interested in importing the rifle and is having talks with the Azerbaijani Armed Forces. An unknown number of Istiglals were purchased. In April 2011, Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corporation announced that sniper rifle, which will be produced jointly, will differ much from the model that is being tested in Azerbaijan. Changes will be made in the design, weight and some systems of the weapon. The production of IST-12.7 sniper rifle in Turkey is the first military production transfer of Azerbaijan.
- Jordan: Used by some Special Ops and SRR-61 Snipers.
- "Modern Firearms". Archived from the original on 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Bigger Is No Longer Better". strategypage.com. May 22, 2013. Archived from the original on June 7, 2013. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Azerbaijan-produced sniper rifles and armors to be demonstrated at an exhibition in Istanbul". Archived from the original on 2009-01-30. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "Products being produced in the Facilities of the Ministry of Defense Industry will be showcased for the first time in the 9th International Defense Exhibition Fair". Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense. 2009-04-24. Archived from the original on 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "International Defense Exhibition Fair (IDEF-2009) was over". Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense. 2009-01-05. Archived from the original on 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "Azerbaijan to produce new version of Istiglal rifle". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Азербайджан готовится представить новую версию снайперской винтовки (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2009-10-15. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Necessary to prepare for war inside the country even in Baku, military expert". Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- "Azerbaijan's "Istiglal" rifle becomes interesting for the world". 2009-04-29. Archived from the original on 2010-02-17. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "AZERBAIJAN'S "ISTIGLAL" RIFLE BECOMES INTERESTING FOR THE WORLD". 2009-04-30. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- Rashad Suleymanov (2009-02-10). "Turkey takes interest in Azerbaijan-made sniper rifle". Archived from the original on 2009-06-28. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- "Production of Azerbaijan-made sniper rifle IST-12.7 likely to start in Turkey". news.az. Archived from the original on 2 May 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "В этом году в Турции могут начать производство азербайджанской снайперской винтовки". Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Azerbaycan mühendislerinin yaptığı "İstiklal" snaypırı Türkiye'de seri üretime girebilir". 1News.com.tr. Archived from the original on 2 May 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to İstiqlal (rifle).|