Italian–Kosovan relations are foreign relations between Italy and Kosovo[a]. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia on 17 February 2008 and Italy recognised it on 21 February 2008. Italy has an embassy in Pristina since 15 May 2008. Kosovo will open an embassy in Rome. The two countries enjoy friendly relations.
|Embassy of Italy, Pristina||Embassy of Kosovo, Rome|
|Ambassador Nicola Orlando||Ambassador Lendita Haxhitasim|
Italy participated in the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, which resulted in a UN administration of Kosovo and then to eventual independence. Italy currently has 1,935 troops serving in Kosovo as peacekeepers in the NATO led Kosovo Force. Originally there was 5,000 Italian troops in KFOR. Carlo Cabigiosu was the 4th KFOR Commander from 16 October 2000 - 6 April 2001. Fabio Mini was the 7th KFOR Commander from 4 October 2002 - 3 October 2003. Giuseppe Valotto was the 10th KFOR Commander from 1 September 2005 - 1 September 2006. Also Giuseppe Emilio Gay is the current KFOR Commander since 29 August 2008.
Italy sent 600 Soldiers to serve as Peacekeepers in EULEX; an EU Police, Civilian and Law Mission in Kosovo.
- Foreign relations of Italy
- Foreign relations of Kosovo
- Italy–Serbia relations
- Albania–Italy relations
- Italy–Taiwan relations
- Italy–Yugoslavia relations
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008. Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the 2013 Brussels Agreement. Kosovo is currently (this note self-updates) recognized as an independent state by 98 out of the 193 United Nations member states. In total, 113 UN member states recognized Kosovo at some point, of which 15 later withdrew their recognition.|
- "Consiglio dei Ministri n. 93 del 21 febbraio 2008" (in Italian). Italian Council of Ministers. 2008-02-21. Archived from the original on 2008-04-02. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Kosovo, Italia riconosce indipendenza" (in Italian). La Stampa. 2008-02-21. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Italy appoints Ambassador to Kosovo" newkosovareport.com 16 May 2008 Link accessed 15/05/08
- "Kosovo Force (KFOR)" www.nato.int Link accessed 21-07-09
- "British troops arrive in Kosovo"ukpress.google.com 24 May 2008 Link accessed 24/05/08 Archived May 26, 2008, at the Wayback Machine