Jill Seymour (born 8 May 1958) is a British politician who served as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the West Midlands from 2014 to 2019. Elected for the UK Independence Party (UKIP) in 2014, in April 2019 she defected to the Brexit Party. Despite her defection, she was not selected as a Brexit Party candidate for the 2019 European Parliament elections, and ceased to remain an MEP on 26 May 2019.
|UKIP Spokesperson for Transport|
24 July 2014 – 7 December 2018
Steve Crowther (Acting)
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Member of the European Parliament|
for West Midlands
1 July 2014 – 1 July 2019
|Preceded by||Mike Nattrass|
|Succeeded by||Martin Daubney|
|Born||8 May 1958|
Cosford, Shropshire, England
|Political party||UK Independence Party (until 2019)|
Brexit Party (April–May 2019)
Jill Seymour joined UKIP in 2002. She worked for the MEP Nikki Sinclaire before the latter left Ukip.[better source needed] Seymour resigned from UKIP's NEC in 2011 citing personal reasons.[better source needed]
In 2015 she was criticized for renting an office in Shropshire from her husband Brian with taxpayers' money. The Independent commented that there was no suggestion that the arrangement was against European Parliament rules. The arrangement would not however been acceptable for a member of the UK Parliament.
After becoming an MEP, Seymour was appointed UKIP's transport spokesperson, serving until 2018 when she expressed unease about the direction the party was taking. As transport spokesperson Seymour was pro-car and anti-High Speed 2. In 2015, she became patron of the Alliance of British Drivers.[self-published source]
- "Ukip rocks political rivals in European elections success". Shropshire Star. Midland News Association. 26 May 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "MEP Jill Seymour defects to Brexit Party". 15 April 2019. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- Junius (8 October 2009). "The ballad of Seymour & Farage or how Junius learned to stop worrying and love Nigel's tie". Blogspot.
- Junius (24 May 2011). "UKIP: More Bannerman, Jill Seymour resigns from NEC & Gerard crashes out". Blogspot.
- Stone, Jon (26 March 2015). "Ukip MEP Jill Seymour under fire for renting office from her husband with taxpayers cash". The Independent.
- "Election 2015: The Wrekin". BBC News. Archived from the original on 30 December 2016.
- "Election 2017: The Wrekin". BBC News. Archived from the original on 20 May 2017.
- Seymour, Jill (3 November 2015). "Motoring group appoints Jill". jillseymourukip.org.