Joe Crozier (footballer, born 1914)
Joseph Crozier (2 December 1914 – 27 July 1985) was a Scottish professional footballer who made 200 appearances in the Football League for Brentford as a goalkeeper. Crozier has been described as Brentford's best-ever goalkeeper and he is a member of the club's Hall of Fame. He represented Scotland in wartime international matches.
|Full name||Joseph Crozier|
|Date of birth||2 December 1914|
|Place of birth||Coatbridge, Scotland|
|Date of death||27 July 1985 70)(aged|
|Place of death||Greenwich, England|
|1939–1941||→ Airdrieonians (guest)||59||(0)|
|1941–1942||→ Hibernian (guest)||43||(0)|
|Ashford Town (Kent)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Crozier began his career at junior team Strathclyde and moved to Scottish League Second Division club East Fife in 1934. He made 100 appearances for the club and earned a £1,000 move to English top-flight club Brentford in May 1937. Either side of the Second World War, Crozier made 224 appearances for the Bees. As a testament to his longevity, Crozier made 114 of his 200 league appearances consecutively. During the war, Crozier played as a guest at Hibernian and Airdrieonians. He departed Brentford in 1949 and ended his career with spells at non-League clubs Chelmsford City, Kidderminster Harriers and Ashford Town (Kent).
Crozier won three unofficial caps for Scotland in three wartime internationals versus England in 1943 and 1944. He conceded 16 goals in three defeats. The final match at Hampden Park in April 1944 was witnessed by a wartime record 133,000 crowd.
|East Fife||1934–35||Scottish Second Division||31||0||1||0||—||32||0|
- Appearance in Empire Exhibition Trophy
- "Joe Crozier". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Haynes, Graham (1998). A-Z Of Bees: Brentford Encyclopaedia. Yore Publications. p. 39. ISBN 1-874427-57-7.
- "Steve Phillips inducted in to Hall of Fame". www.brentfordfc.com. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Joe Crozier at Post War English & Scottish Football League A–Z Player's Database
- Litster, John. Record of Pre-War Scottish League Players. Norwich: PM Publications.
- White, Eric, ed. (1989). 100 Years Of Brentford. Brentford FC. pp. 374–380. ISBN 0951526200.
- "Hibernian Player Jospeh [sic] Crozier Details". www.fitbastats.com. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Smith, Tony (2011). Gordon Smith – Prince of Wingers. Edinburgh: Black & White Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84502-381-2. OCLC 779827535.
- Haynes, Graham; Coumbe, Frank (2006). Timeless Bees: Brentford F.C. Who's Who 1920–2006. Yore Publications. pp. 43–44. ISBN 978-0955294914.
- "Crozier Joe Brentford 1937". Vintage Footballers. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Joe Crozier". 11v11.com. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- TW8 Matchday: The Home Of Real Football – Official Brentford FC Matchday Programme versus Chesterfield. Charlton, London: The Yellow Printing Company. 3 April 2004. p. 32.
- "Stewart Signs For Brentford. Bees Report for Training on Wednesday". Middlesex Chronicle. 3 August 1946.