John C. Williams (economist)
John Carroll Williams (born June 12, 1962) is the president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, having also served as president of Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco from 2011 to 2018. He is currently serving as vice chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee.
|11th President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York|
|Assumed office |
June 18, 2018
|Preceded by||William C. Dudley|
|12th President of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco|
March 1, 2011 – June 18, 2018
|Preceded by||Janet Yellen|
|Succeeded by||Mary C. Daly|
John Carroll Williams
June 12, 1962
|Education||University of California, Berkeley (BA)|
London School of Economics (MSc)
Stanford University (PhD)
Williams earned an A.B. with high distinction from the University of California at Berkeley in 1984; a Master of Science with distinction in economics from the London School of Economics in 1989, and completed a Ph.D. in economics at Stanford University in 1994.
Williams began his career in 1994 as an economist at the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. He joined the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in 2002. Prior to becoming the president, he was the executive vice president and director of research for the San Francisco bank. He took office as president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco on March 1, 2011.
On April 3, 2018, it was announced that Williams had been named president and CEO of the New York Fed, beginning June 18, 2018. Since taking up this job, Williams has given numerous speeches about both domestic and international economic issues. One subject that he has often referred to is that of the long-term equilibrium rate of interest, frequently referred to as the 'natural rate of interest'. He has even lightheartedly said that he "has a passion for r-star".
Williams currently serves as the managing editor of the International Journal of Central Banking. Previously, he served as associate editor of The American Economic Review. Additionally, he served as senior economist at the White House Council of Economic Advisers and as a lecturer at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business.
Williams is a native of Sacramento, California. He is married to Audrey Lyndon, professor of nursing and medicine and assistant dean for clinical research at the Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University. They have two sons, and reside in New York City.
- "New York Fed Picks John Williams as Next CEO". Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. "John C. Williams Named to Lead the Federal Reserve Bank of New York". Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Casselman, Ben (April 3, 2018). "New York Fed Names John Williams President, Bucking Calls for Diversity". New York Times. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Said, Carolyn (2 March 2011). "John Williams named CEO of S.F. Federal Reserve". SFGate.com. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- Soni, Phalguni (27 May 2014). "Why John Williams says monetary tightening won't happen right away". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "John Williams". Fox Business. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "John C. Williams Named President of New York Fed". DSnews.com. 4 April 2018. Retrieved 24 March 2019.